Swing and a MISS....

Andy Sayler

Jan 13, 2017, 7:58:44 PM1/13/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio

Well I have tried three times to successfully make that uv5r data cord with no luck.. Apparent the color orientation on my wire is different than the one you did Art... I tried deciphering this pic but I'm not sure which pin is ground and which one is ptt...

mic+ large center   Tx
spk+ small tip        Rx
ptt                          ?
grd                         ?

Sorry for the silly question and thank you for the help in advance..

~Andy

Art Miller

Jan 13, 2017, 8:27:47 PM1/13/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
The base of the 3.5 is ptt, ring is mic
Base of 2.5 is ground, ring is no connection, tip is speaker

Andy Sayler

Jan 13, 2017, 8:41:05 PM1/13/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Perfect!!

By chance would you know the order for an alinco mic plug? it looks kinda the same but oriented straight up and down...

Art Miller

Jan 13, 2017, 8:41:45 PM1/13/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Google the model number

Andy Sayler

Jan 13, 2017, 9:38:52 PM1/13/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio

So I found the problem on the Baofeng plug and switched two wires around.. Thanks for the help with that Art!

Here Is what I found when I opened up the Alinco mic that I snagged to sacrifice for the data wire. Inside was this pin description so i wired it acordingly.
When i plugged it in to try it the wire keyed the radio immediately....

Any ideas on this one?

Art Miller

Jan 13, 2017, 9:45:21 PM1/13/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Spk - is ground, if the ground isn't right then it'll key,  double check that you have the right connections as well

tim.w...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2017, 1:03:51 PM1/14/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Andy,

My name is Tim. I'm a new HAM (as of October). Budd Churchward is my father-in-law.

I used this exact diagram for wiring up my Baofeng UV-5X3 and was successfully copying packets for a while. I ended up making the following connections. The wire colors are for my wire, yours may be different.
  Base of 3.5mm pin - black wire - PTT
  Middle of 3.5mm pin - red wire - AFIN (into the URDC)
  Tip of 3.5mm pin - no connection
  Base of 2.5mm pin - white wire - GND
  Middle of 2.5mm pin - no connection
  Tip of 2.5mm pin - blue wire - AFOUT (out of URDC)

I was receiving packets with this setup but now I'm not. Don't know what my problem is other than using the rubber duck antenna.

Hope this helps.

-Tim Fehr
KI7HFW

Andy Sayler

Jan 14, 2017, 8:24:44 PM1/14/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Right on.. Thanks for the Reply Tim..

If it continues too give me grief I will definitely refer back to this as a reference!

73
Andy
KF7VOL

Andy Sayler

Jan 31, 2017, 7:08:27 AM1/31/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Well I had a little free time last night and went back to that Alinco mic plug to DB9 that I was working on. Like I a few people had mentioned I started back through the pin id Process. I found Ground then was able to find the PTT (thanks for the hint on that one Art). Then it was on to the speaker + which I was able to nail down with an old set of ear buds. Three down and last is mic +. Jackpot, I got them... After doing some testing it worked flawlessly! Now its on to the next ongoing headache. Thanks for the help guys!

~Andy