Antenna Guy

kg7gcf

Nov 7, 2017, 10:50:32 AM11/7/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Does anyone have contact information for the Ham who is building jpole antenna's.  He was at the DRM event in Blaine this past summer and then the APRS gathering in September.  I believe he lives in or near Everett.

Peter Dahl

Nov 7, 2017, 10:57:33 AM11/7/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
It’s K9JEB. You can see his antennas at: http://k9jeb.com/

Peter

On Nov 7, 2017, at 7:50 AM, kg7gcf <kg7...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have contact information for the Ham who is building jpole antenna's.  He was at the DRM event in Blaine this past summer and then the APRS gathering in September.  I believe he lives in or near Everett.

Gayland Gump

Gayland Gump

rts...@comcast.net

Nov 7, 2017, 11:15:21 AM11/7/17
to nwwdigi
He runs ads on Craigslist go to the electronics section and search for ham radio

His J-Pole and Anderson distribution boxes are always on there.

I would like to see a comparison between his J-pole and the $50 Tram from Home Depot

Robert/KF7VOP

to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
The Tram has it beat by a mile! I think his come in around 3db. Don't get me wrong they are great and I own two of them but the tram will perform really well at a great price point! My 10 cents.

Gayland Gump

Nov 15, 2017, 10:35:30 AM11/15/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Andy,  I still don't have much of a clue about antennas and don't know what you mean by "his come in about 3db".  Remington and I have been running some SWR tests on the jpole I got from K9JEB and the readings across both the vhf and uhf bands were something like 1:1 and 1:1.6 for almost the entire width of the ban if memory serves me.  I bought a diamond 50x  which looks similar to the TRAM offered by Home Depot and while the vhf swr was between below 1:2 the uhf was up about 1:5 or useless.  Lots to learn about all of this.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 11:26 PM, Andy Sayler <a9i...@gmail.com> wrote:
The Tram has it beat by a mile! I think his come in around 3db. Don't get me wrong they are great and I own two of them but the tram will perform really well at a great price point! My 10 cents.

andy sayler

Nov 15, 2017, 10:55:54 AM11/15/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Yes. The gentlemen who makes those is incredible good at what he does and he has a very proven design! His SWR match is dialed in. DB is referring to something different though. I Don't have the written definition so forgive me. Look at SWR as balance and DB as reach. You can have great balance with a light reach and that's ok. Or you can have a Large reach with great balance. But without balance reach means nothing. That's my compressed way of looking at it. In regards to your Diamond 50x there are many things that can contribute to a SWR that may be off a smidge. that said 1.2 to 1 vhf and 1.5 to 1 uhf is a very usable match. Ok I'm going to stop with my ramble. Either way keep up the good work!

73

Andy Sayler, Head Monkey | Keyed Up/Oil Can Garage.
Down The Street | Lynden, WA 98264 | mobile (360) 319-7417