Any one here testing fldigi on 145.58 simplex right now

kg7gcf

May 10, 2017, 10:20:55 PM5/10/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Just checking

Brian Lawler

May 10, 2017, 11:29:08 PM5/10/17
to MBARC-Digital Group
Hi Gayland-  Yes we were.  We heard K7FPD a few times on FSQ mode but I guess you were not able to switch to voice.  You want to hit the FSQ-ON button on (green) and Active (red) at the bottom of the white window of FLdigi.  We will play again soon.  Next Wed for sure but likely Saturday as well.  Email will announce it.  Thanks!

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:20 PM, kg7gcf <kg7...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just checking

Brian Lawler (KNØN)  PGP key.

Gayland Gump

May 13, 2017, 9:54:53 PM5/13/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com, Ferndale ACS
Brian,

Thanks for the response.  Did not know that voice was even an option.  We were thinking commo via Mt. Constitution was the backup but never heard anything.

Was my actual first time trying to use fldigi, Cathy was with me for a bit around 1830  while we attempted to configure the software.  We're still not clear on why information such as baud rate was not included in the exercise description.  Understand that none of us have any experience with digital modes so we are the blind leading the blind as it were.

For the most part our FQO (?) monitor was showing mostly what appeared to be random characters, with only a few segments that we could interpret as meaningful data.  My current assumption is that we were not able to get sufficient signal separation from the background noise to discriminate between content and noise.  We could use some help tweaking settings is my opinion.

I'm out of town until late Sunday, so if your intent is to try again this Saturday I won't be able join you.  What time on Wednesday?

For what it is worth, even though we didn't really establish a connection, I felt the exercise was a valuable learning opportunity.  Perhaps, we can arrange for someone who is more experienced, to come to the Ferndale EOC on an exercise day/evening to coach us through some of the basics.  I believe that an opportunity like that would go a long way to jump starting our full participation in the digital modes.

Hope to see you at the NW digital group meeting next Tuesday.

Gayland
KG7GCF

rts...@comcast.net

May 18, 2017, 11:18:22 AM5/18/17
to nwwdigi
Did anyone try Fldigi last night?

I was listening on 145.580 from just before 7:00 to about 7:30 and heard nothing.

Robert/KF7VOP

Keith Williamson

May 18, 2017, 11:28:46 AM5/18/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
I built up a new RPi3 with UDRC and fldigi yesterday and definitely saw packets on the waterfall begin right at 7PM. However, I was never able to decode anything sensible from them. It was my first real exposure to fldigi so I'm sure it was just ignorance on my part. It looked like packet SNR was +4dB. Tried decoding with MT63-2KS, MT63-2KL, and others.

It definitely got me interested though!

Keith
KF7DRV

Scott Johnson

May 18, 2017, 11:53:12 AM5/18/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Robert/KF7VOP,

Yes, from 7 to close to 8:30. We had about 8/9 emcomm folks check-in. We used MT-63 2KL. But for a couple of speedbumps ( read soundcard issues), all stations heard the ECC and each other. 145.580 is correct.

Scott/AE7RO

73, Scott/AE7RO

rts...@comcast.net

May 18, 2017, 12:39:51 PM5/18/17
to nwwdigi
Interesting I heard absolutely nothing at my location.

I even tested my setup using another radio and confirmed it was operating.

Robert/KF7VOP