Net tonight results

Art

Mar 20, 2016, 11:51:59 PM3/20/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
well after troubleshooting my cables for an hour i finally figured them out!

also: does anyone know of any nets on 145.650? I already checked for
repeaters but found none and apparently some group was on there tonight >.>

anyways, we tried a few modes, I'd like to try to send a pic however
mfsk16 was not cooperating with us tonight!

we'll try again next sunday starting at 5 pm

Art

rts...@comcast.net

Mar 21, 2016, 12:06:24 PM3/21/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
I have to say I was quite surprised how poorly the digital modes worked. Slow modes like PSK31 were "okay" but of course take nearly 30 seconds to send "CQ CQ CQ" , on VHF we should not need that slow of data rates. The "faster" modes even multi-carrier modes should work better and make more sense since we are using all that bandwidth anyway with FM.

Last night's experience makes a "digital net" look nearly impossible without a repeater, specially for the guys that only have handhelds.
We were not that far apart, I was monitoring on my handheld, and your signal was often barely able to break the squelch.

What would it take to get the repeater group to enable tone squelch (to not annoy people who monitor with our digital squeals) on one of the repeaters, like the new King Mountain one, so we could use it for a digital net?

Robert/KF7VOP

Mar 21, 2016, 1:31:53 PM3/21/16
to MBARC-Digital Group
King repeaters should be "good to go".  Both already have tone encoding on output enabled (same as input- 103.5).  I forgot about the net but will try to be there next Sunday.

-Brian

Art

Mar 21, 2016, 9:32:15 PM3/21/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
so... apparently last night we were transmitting on the input of a victoria repeater? thats according to: http://www.bcarcc.org/vanisland.pdf

apparently the section of band that washington has as misl digital modes is one of the digital repeater sections up there >.>

we could use 145.500 if we want to do simplex, i don't see any repeaters on it....

oh well, our bad... and such is life... this is what happens when canada doesn't follow our lead ;b

Also, are we ok to use the king repeater for digital modes? also is it 147.160+?

Art

Brian Lawler

Mar 21, 2016, 10:53:17 PM3/21/16
to MBARC-Digital Group
I will send a note to the other repeater club board members.  I think it is fine.  Those repeaters get so little use.

-Brian