UDRC/RBPI/Xastir

kg7gcf

Apr 7, 2017, 9:14:59 PM4/7/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Okay, I am talking between my tnc-pi/RBPi2/Baofeng and my UDRC/RBPi3/Baofeng setups but am running in to a whole lot of questions.  Won't try to ask them all now but would like ask a couple to the group.

First why are the the direwolf installations instructions at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-and-Direwolf-Packet-Modem telling me to "sudo apt-get remove bluez pi-bluetooth". it so happens that if I do this I remove my ability to use my bluetooth keyboard with my RBPI 3.

Not following this does not seemed to have affected the workings of the UDRC, Pi or Radio. So I am curious why it is included in the instructions.

My next question has to do with reception. I've gotten only a few stations showing up in xastir. Do audio levels impact the number of packets being decoded successfully?

If yes, any suggestions on where I start tweeking?

Robert Sears

Apr 9, 2017, 1:11:54 PM4/9/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com

Not sure about the bluez package, I am pretty sure my Pi3 is running with bluez because bluetooth still works. But there was some discussion on the UDRC board about this recently I think.

Lets see, there is something with the new updates.

This issue is in the libasound2 package and how it interacts with the system.

As a prophylactic measure performing

sudo apt-mark hold libasound2 libasound2-data

before an upgrade or upgrade-dist will keep the old library intact while bringing other packages up to date.  We also need to pin the kernel for the UDRC driver.

ah.. here is something about Bluez...

On Tue, 2017-04-04 at 09:40 -0700, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
I have discovered that when doing a

apt-get upgrade

on the Compass Linux image, that the sound library may introduce
issues, so before doing an upgrade please issue

sudo apt-mark hold libasound2 libasound2-data

You may also want to remove a couple of bluetooth packages that have
update issues

sudo apt-get remove bluez pi-bluetooth

But as for audio levels, YES they are going to make a big difference in the stations you hear. If they are too low, you wont hear weak station. If too loud strong stations will distort and you will not be able to decode the packets.

I believe Direwolf will show your volume levels, or at least can be made to, so you can use that to help adjust your levels.

I don't remember the exact command line so RTFM

Robert/KF7VOP