Portable Packet Power Pack

Budd Churchward

Oct 19, 2016, 1:50:08 PM10/19/16
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Gayland and others wanted to know about the power pack I had at the meeting last night.

Here is a link to the product on Amazon. It works very well for me and seems to last a long time. You have your choice of 12 V, 9 V, and 5 V ... it does all three and you can do them at the same time. It recharges with its own 12 V wall wort, but you can also recharge it from 12 V in your car. The 5 V comes through a USB connector so it will charge your phone too if you need it.

If you wonder about the touch screen displays that both Gayland and I have, you can find them here: 7 inch display and niffty case.

Budd

Robert Sears

Oct 19, 2016, 2:55:25 PM10/19/16
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Actually that does look like a nice one with all the output options it has. But I would caution against long term usage at less than it's full output voltage. As what happens if you are only using  say 5 volts out of a 12 volt series of cells is you end up with a change imbalance. Unless the charger is smart enough to balance the charge, you are risking over charging some batteries in the string while charging the dead ones in the string. So I tend to buy battery packs that fit the device, a 5 volt Li-Ion pack for charging phones and running Pi's. But with the UDRC's 12V power input this is probably less of an issue.

As I said last night in general these batteries are all the same, basically packed with cheap Chinese Lithium-Ion cells.  So I always tell people not to worry about brands and buy based on capacity for the money.

Battery capacity is rated in Amp Hours (Ah) more is bigger, in the case of these smaller batteries the manufacturers will rate them in milliamp hours (mAh) to make them look big. Remember 1Ah=1000mAh

Robert/KF7VOP

Andy Sayler

Oct 20, 2016, 10:32:15 PM10/20/16
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Thanks for the link on those items Budd! definitely going to keep those so i can zip back to it when I'm ready...

What were the talking points of the meeting?

Dave Halliday

Oct 26, 2016, 5:29:24 PM10/26/16
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio
Hi Budd

Quick question - you also had a small keyboard about the size of a TV remote. Do you have a link to that?

Many thanks!

Dave / K3DGH