Any one seen these?

Andy Sayler

Sep 10, 2017, 11:44:47 AM9/10/17
to Northwest Washington Digital Amateur Radio

Gayland Gump

Sep 10, 2017, 12:02:12 PM9/10/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Andy

I believe there was a kit form of something like that at the APRS gathering yesterday.  Robert, Budd, or Peter might have paid more attention to it ad have more detail.

Gayland
KG7GCF

andy sayler

Sep 10, 2017, 12:12:43 PM9/10/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
It will be fun to hear how it was and what fun things they may have learned.

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 9:02 AM Gayland Gump <kg7...@gmail.com> wrote:
Andy

I believe there was a kit form of something like that at the APRS gathering yesterday.  Robert, Budd, or Peter might have paid more attention to it ad have more detail.

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Andy Sayler <a9i...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks.

Andy Sayler
(360) 319-7417

Robert Sears

Sep 10, 2017, 1:35:08 PM9/10/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com

That's cute, but receive only and you should know how I feel about receive only APRS I-Gates

NW Digital Radio will be releasing a Pi "hat" soon that will have full Rx/Tx capabilities in UHF, they were calling it the One Watt Spot.

The one interesting thing I saw was the Pi-Gate. http://www.pigate.net/

I think I might have seen it before but it's a Raspberry PI with a Pi TNC in a 3D printed case and pre-loaded software so you can just plug it in and it comes up as a WiFi hot spot. Then anyone can connect to it using any web browser and send email (Winlink system).

But what it does that makes it unique is it just holds all the email inside until the radio operator is present. Then the operator makes the radio connection and sends all the email at once. There was some discussion if the legality of sending email you don't know the contents of being the control operator. But the general consensus was in an emergency situation where you would deploy something like this so the general public can get messages out of a disaster area to loved ones, that would not be an issue.

Robert/KF7VOP

Budd Churchward

Sep 10, 2017, 3:39:40 PM9/10/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
This creates the receive only iGate that is not desirable and should be avoided. It creates a sense that a station can be heard but then can't be reached.

Art Miller

Sep 10, 2017, 3:44:44 PM9/10/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com
Idea: since you can set the frequency use these as aprs testing platforms,  get a few of them and see who you can hear and where

Robert Sears

Sep 10, 2017, 3:54:54 PM9/10/17
to nww...@googlegroups.com

I-gates in general tend to give the impression that APRS messaging is a worldwide messaging system, and it is not.

I believe receive only I-gates break APRS messaging because if it works the way I think it does, you received the message via internet the return path is invalid because that one hop (I-gate) is receive only. So your reply will never get to the recipient. (that also might explain some of the repeated messages we see still bouncing around hours after sending)

Also I think anyone in "hearing range" of that I-gate may never receive message sent to them because their path could also include that receive only I-gate.

Robert/KF7VOP
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to nwwdigi+u...@googlegroups.com.