Grants up to $3k available to NumFOCUS projects (sponsored & affiliated)

Gina Helfrich

Mar 16, 2017, 12:15:28 PM3/16/17
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Call for Proposals - Small Development Grants

NumFOCUS is asking for proposals from its sponsored and affiliated projects for targeted small development projects with a clear benefit to those projects. This call is motivated by the success of our 2016 end-of-year fundraising drive; we want to direct the donated funds to our projects in a way that has impact and visibility to donors and the wider community.

There are no restrictions on what the funding can be used for. Whether it’s code development, documentation work, an educational, sustainability or diversity initiative, or yet something else, we trust the projects themselves to understand what they need and explain that need in the proposal.

Available Funding:
  • Up to $3,000 per proposal
  • Allocated funding is $9,000; depending on the number and quality of proposals this may be adjusted up or down.

Eligibility:
  • Proposals must be approved by the leadership of a NumFOCUS sponsored or affiliated project.
  • Proposed work must have a clear outcome, achievable within 2017.
  • The call is open to applicants from any nationality and can be performed at any university, institute or business worldwide (US export laws permitting).

Timeline:
  • Mid-March 2017: Call for Proposals released
  • 3 April 2017: deadline for proposal submissions
  • 17 April: successful proposals announced

--
Dr. Gina Helfrich
Communications Director, NumFOCUS

Bob Carpenter

Mar 16, 2017, 2:14:09 PM3/16/17
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Is there a format you're expecting for proposals?

Are applications limited to one per project?

Hard to imagine a project won't have something to do with $3K,
so I imagine you'll get applications from all of the projects if
the proposals take less than an hour or two to put together.

- Bob

Gina Helfrich

Mar 16, 2017, 5:52:29 PM3/16/17
to numf...@googlegroups.com, de...@numfocus.org
There is no specific template, but proposals should be kept under 2 pages. Maximum 1 submission per project.

Required elements of the proposal are:
  • title
  • project description
  • benefit to project/community