PSF Working Group Grant

Travis Oliphant

May 1, 2015, 11:34:04 AM5/1/15
to Numfocus
Hey everyone,

Good news.  The PSF passed a board resolution that will allocate $25k this year for a joint Numfocus / PSF working group to provide money to Python in Scientific Computing and Data Analysis.

David Mertz was very instrumental in moving this forward.

The PSF will also allocate matching funds up to an additional $25k if Numfocus matches the $25k first.   So, if Numfocus contributes $50k to the working group, the PSF will also contribute a total of $50k.     This will provide $100k of funding for proposals.

Proposals will be evaluated by the working group --- consisting of at least David Mertz, Tim Couper, Leah Silen, Anthony Scopatz, Travis Oliphant (me).

This is a great time to promote a fund-raising campaign to getting to the $100k for the Working Group this year.

-Travis

Brian Granger

May 1, 2015, 11:35:22 AM5/1/15
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Travis,

Congrats, this is fantastic news! What types of activities/goals would the working group have?

Cheers,

Brian

Brian E. Granger
@ellisonbg on Twitter and GitHub
bgra...@calpoly.edu and elli...@gmail.com

Anthony Scopatz

May 2, 2015, 4:36:12 PM5/2/15
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

We have yet to have our first meeting, so I think most options are still available.  Suggestions very welcome :).

Be Well
Anthony

Olivier Grisel

May 4, 2015, 3:23:12 AM5/4/15
to numfocus
Great news! Thanks to people involved in setting this up.

> Hi Brian,
>
> We have yet to have our first meeting, so I think most options are still
> available. Suggestions very welcome :).

It would be great to support efforts to improve the open source fortan
(and optionally C/C++) compilers for windows (e.g. the mingw-w64 port
of gfortran) to make it easier for scipy ecosystem developers to test
and debug scipy and related projects on that platform even if they
don't have access to intel's proprietary compilers.

Best,

--
Olivier

Nicolas Pettiaux

May 4, 2015, 3:26:04 AM5/4/15
to numf...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

This is great. I wonder if there would be a way to have taxe deductible donations, anywhere but especially in Belgium (I am Belgian ;-).

This may need special arrangements in each countries, but also prove efficient in the long run.

Best regards,

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Pettiaux, phd - nic...@pettiaux.be Open@work - Une société libre utilise des outils libres «Apprendre aux élèves à utiliser les produits privateurs de Microsoft, Google ou Oracle, c'est comme leur apprendre à fumer. C'est leur donner une habitude coûteuse, dangereuse et dont ils se déferont difficilement.» Richard Stallman

Stefan van der Walt

May 5, 2015, 12:10:11 PM5/5/15
to numf...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-05-04 00:22:50, Olivier Grisel <olivier...@ensta.org>
wrote:
> It would be great to support efforts to improve the open source
> fortan (and optionally C/C++) compilers for windows (e.g. the
> mingw-w64 port of gfortran) to make it easier for scipy
> ecosystem developers to test and debug scipy and related
> projects on that platform even if they don't have access to
> intel's proprietary compilers.

You should get in touch with Nathaniel Smith--he has been
connecting the people at mingw and Microsoft together to make this
happen.

Stéfan

Olivier Grisel

May 5, 2015, 1:18:08 PM5/5/15
to numfocus
We indeed had some discussions about this during PyCon. I just wanted
to state publicly on this mailing list that in my opinion this project
(improving the state of compilers for Python project under Windows) is
worth some funding from either the PSF or NumFOCUS or both.

--
Olivier

Jérôme Kieffer

May 5, 2015, 2:40:12 PM5/5/15
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

> You should get in touch with Nathaniel Smith--he has been
> connecting the people at mingw and Microsoft together to make this
> happen.

We just had a 2 day training session on scipy for 30 people using
winpython 64bits, all of them beginners. The new toolchain for fortran
is really impressing. We had hardly any glitch between python, scipy and
our c-binary extension.

Cheers,
--
Jérôme Kieffer <goo...@terre-adelie.org>

Nathaniel Smith

May 5, 2015, 4:39:48 PM5/5/15
to numf...@googlegroups.com

Don't worry, this is definitely on the radar of NumFOCUS and others :-).