Introducing Matt Terry, Primo Website Guru

Anthony Scopatz

Sep 10, 2013, 4:36:12 AM9/10/13
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

If you don't already know him, the brilliant Matt Terry has graciously accepted a position as the official NumFOCUS Primo Website Guru.  You might know Matt as the author of yoinkery, one of the founding three members of The Hacker Within, his participation in Software Carpentry and related boot camp event, or through his maniacal lightning talks at SciPy [1, 2].

Matt has been the primary person responsible for the ongoing migration of the website from wordpress to pelican.  The effort he has put in here has been herculean!  If you are interested in helping out or joining the web team, please let Matt know.  Any help that you can lend will be very appreciated.   Also because of him, we now host our website on github.  So if you only want to make minor changes, you can always pull request into this repository

I can't stress enough how much of a savior he has been on this front.  Please join me in welcoming Matt to the team!

Be Well
Anthony

Travis Oliphant

Sep 10, 2013, 1:09:55 PM9/10/13
to numf...@googlegroups.com
Anthony,

This is incredibly good news.   We have precious few volunteers for NumFOCUS and the website for NumFOCUS is one of the critical areas that needs work.   Matt has already done an amazing job with the new site.   Leah and others will be working on fixing the few broken links that remain and otherwise improving the content.

We have been hard at work this summer raising money and determining the proper legal framework within which to disseminate this money to the various projects.   We have all learned a great deal and are coming close to documents that explain it.    This is also an area that can use input and assistance from others.

We have also revised the membership documents to enable anyone to become a member simply by indicating their interest.   Getting the website fixed is the first step in disseminating all of this information more easily.

My heart-felt thank-you to Matt for all his efforts.   With Matt's changes, it is now as easy as submitting a pull-request to get changes into the website.

All the best,

-Travis

Travis Oliphant
Continuum Analytics, Inc.

Matt Terry

Sep 10, 2013, 2:55:30 PM9/10/13
to numf...@googlegroups.com
You are too kind Anthony.  Primo Guru makes it sound like I knew something about websites before this years SciPy : )

Funding and promoting open scientific computing infrastructure is really important.  I'm happy to help out and more than happy to have collaborators.

-matt

Fernando Perez

Sep 10, 2013, 6:06:48 PM9/10/13
to numf...@googlegroups.com
+1 on the huge thanks to Matt for taking this on... Immensely valuable
and appreciated.

Cheers,