cellular communication model

Bob

Oct 7, 2010, 4:40:49 PM10/7/10
to ns-3-users
Is there any ns-2 or ns-3 model that is able to simulate the data
communication between mobile phones
via cellular communication such as 3G or WiMAX or any other mobile
phone service? By data communication
I mean transmitting data messages from one mobile phone to another.
Furthermore, many pairs of mobile phones
may initiate transmissions at the same time and multiple mobile phones
may transmit to one mobile phone at the
same time. Presumably this raises bandwidth capacity, channel
allocation, contention, and delay issues. Can these factors be
simulated by ns-2 or ns-3?

Thanks!

Giuseppe Piro

Oct 8, 2010, 2:48:20 AM10/8/10
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

2010/10/7 Bob <box...@gmail.com>

Is there any ns-2 or ns-3 model that is able to simulate the data
communication between mobile phones
via cellular communication such as 3G or WiMAX or any other mobile
phone service?

Yes, both WiMAX and LTE models are implemented in ns-3. WiMAX module more complete but the LTE model is onder development.
The first one is into the official release. Moreover, LTE module is available on the other repository: http://code.nsnam.org/giuseppepiro/ns-3-lte/

By data communication
I mean transmitting data messages from one mobile phone to another.
Furthermore, many pairs of mobile phones
may initiate transmissions at the same time and multiple mobile phones
may transmit to one mobile phone at the
same time. Presumably this raises bandwidth capacity, channel
allocation, contention, and delay issues. Can these factors be
simulated by ns-2 or ns-3?

Actually, you can simulate this scenario only with WiMAX module. I hope that this will be possible also for LTE networks as soon as possible!

Best Regards,

Giuseppe Piro

--
Giuseppe Piro
Ph.D. Student

Bob

Oct 8, 2010, 9:46:28 AM10/8/10
to ns-3-users, g.p...@poliba.it
Thanks Giuseppe! This is very helpful.
What about existing cellular technologies such as UMTS, CDMA, EDGE,
etc. Does ns-3 have packages for
any of these technology? WiMAX and LTE are good but my understanding
is that they are not available in market yet.
We prefer to simulate some technology that has been deployed in
market.

Thanks and best regards,
Bob
> Phone:+39 0805963301begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +39 0805963301      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
> Web:http://telematics.poliba.it/piro

Giuseppe Piro

Oct 8, 2010, 10:17:44 AM10/8/10
to Bob, ns-3-users
Hi Bob,

What about existing cellular technologies such as UMTS, CDMA, EDGE,
etc. Does ns-3 have packages for
any of these technology?

Actually only WiMAX and LTE are implemented. I don't know if there is somebody that are working on the development of other cellular technologies.

Best Regards,

Giuseppe Piro