Quitting Popup Buffers

Stefan Kamphausen

May 19, 2013, 2:12:37 PM5/19/13
to nrep...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

nrepl.el by default uses nrepl-popup-buffer-quit which invokes quit-window whenever I hit q in a popup buffer.  I find that quite annoying because it breaks my carefully adjusted layout of windows.

AFAICS there is no way to customize that behavior other than overriding by setting nrepl-popup-buffer-quit-function.

My questions:

* Is anyone else annoyed by the interference with windows?
* If not, how do you usually layout your windows? (One common setup for me is having to windows vertically, the lower being the REPL and the upper the buffer I am currently working in)
* Is my assumption correct, that I would have to set nrepl-popup-buffer-quit-function?
* If so, what is the preferred way of doing that?

Kind regards,
Stefan

Martin Blais

Jul 8, 2013, 4:27:39 PM7/8/13
to nrep...@googlegroups.com
One thing I've found annoying is that when there's an exception the exception buffer isn't in focus.
Typically you just want to 'q' / quit that, fix the bug, and re-evaluate, but now you have to first switch to that window.

I'd be interested in trying out your changes.

On Monday, May 20, 2013 6:59:34 AM UTC-4, Christopher Monsanto wrote:
I don't know about the quitting issue in general, but I will say that I very much dislike any library that tries to be smart about window management, because I use my own elisp window manager.

The nrepl.el I use is modified to remove all custom window handling and to better respect Emacs conventions. If you want, I can extract these modifications as a patch.

Philipp Meier

Jul 11, 2013, 8:44:56 AM7/11/13
to nrep...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Am Montag, 8. Juli 2013 22:27:39 UTC+2 schrieb Martin Blais:
One thing I've found annoying is that when there's an exception the exception buffer isn't in focus.
Typically you just want to 'q' / quit that, fix the bug, and re-evaluate, but now you have to first switch to that window.

Full ack by be. I find this annoying as well. I'd like nrepl to remember the window the exception buffer was displayed last,
or as an alternative, use emacs' default window handling.

-billy.