mono testing on our build server

Shay Rojansky

Jul 19, 2014, 12:52:36 PM7/19/14
to npgsq...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone.

FYI, I've completed issue #137, which was to have our test suite run on mono. Previously, we used to build on mono but run the test suite with TeamCity's standard nunit runner, which uses MS .NET. This is quite useless, because the whole point is to see whether Npgsql works on mono, not whether it compiles on mono.

As a result, we now have 3 broken unit tests in the mono build (http://build.npgsql.org/viewLog.html?buildId=1541&tab=buildResultsDiv&buildTypeId=npgsql_mono45). I'll try to take a look at these, if anyone can help out that would be great. Starting from now we have full regression testing for running Npgsql on mono...

Emil Lenngren

Jul 19, 2014, 1:05:23 PM7/19/14
to npgsq...@googlegroups.com
I have no idea why that EF query fails. It seems to fail internally in Microsoft code before sending it to Npgsql.
Is the correct version of EntityFramework.dll used? I know mono ships with an old version of EntityFramework. The latest one from nuget is probably better.

/Emil

Shay Rojansky

Jul 19, 2014, 1:43:59 PM7/19/14
to Emil Lenngren, npgsq...@googlegroups.com
It´s definitely possible this is a bug in mono, or in the earlier version of EF shipped with mono...

If we can point to a mono problem, we can open an issue with them or even submit a patch... While we´re waiting we can add a [MonoIgnore] attribute to specifically skip the problematic test on mono - I can bring that in from another project I work on.

Let me know if you find anything... and thanks!

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

Jul 19, 2014, 5:45:19 PM7/19/14
to npgsq...@googlegroups.com, emil.l...@gmail.com

DataAdapterTests.InsertWithDataSet and
DataAdapterTests.UpdateLettingNullFieldValue fail on mono since a long time ago. :(

I thought that they weren't being flagged on build server because newer versions of Mono would have made them work. Thanks, Shay for making the tests run on Mono framework. This is the way to go.

I remember that those tests used to work on Mono, but I think that after the 2.10 or it was 2.8 version, they stopped to work. Unfortunately, I never had a look at it. Shay remember that when we started to work on Npgsql tests, they used to have a lot of failing tests. Those were one of them. :)

Regarding the EF bug, I think we should try to make Mono use newer EF libraries if possible. If not, I think we should go with your idea, Shay, of marking some tests as incompatible for now with Mono.

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Emil Lenngren <> wrote:
[...]

Shay Rojansky

Jul 20, 2014, 2:59:28 AM7/20/14
to Francisco Figueiredo Jr., npgsq...@googlegroups.com, emil.l...@gmail.com
OK, have opened #288 to investigate this.