Best way to report outdated packages

san...@bitsnip.be

Jan 3, 2017, 3:59:44 AM1/3/17
to Npackd
Hello all

I love Npackd but am finding multiple outdated packages. What's the best way to report outdated download links?
Should I email the creator of the package or the editor of the last version?

The editor who 'last modified' the last version is (almost) always Tim Lebedkov. Probably because he has to approve new versions.
I may want to maintain some packages to help keep the packages up to date. But I still have some questions about the trustworthiness of packages maintained or created by unknown/new users.

san...@bitsnip.be

Jan 3, 2017, 4:03:07 AM1/3/17
to Npackd
Outdated packages:
Paint.net: Downloading Paint.NET 64 bit 4.0.12: Hash sum e9d74db790b77c84290676adbe9231554aa5d6c0 found, but 8e235ac45151f685835724354dee918591262865 was expected. The file has changed.
Tor Browser: Error downloading https://dist.torproject.org/torbrowser/6.0.5/torbrowser-install-6.0.5_en-US.exe: HTTP status code 404
Libreoffice: 'Downloading LibreOffice 5.2.2: Error downloading http://artfiles.org/documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/5.2.2/win/x86/LibreOffice_5.2.2_Win_x86.msi: HTTP status code 404'

I've already sent an e-mail for the first two.

Francois Botha

Jan 3, 2017, 5:14:35 AM1/3/17
to Npackd
I created an issue long ago, which addresses some of these concerns. See https://github.com/tim-lebedkov/npackd/issues/467

san...@bitsnip.be

Jan 3, 2017, 1:12:47 PM1/3/17
to Npackd
Thank you for mentioning that suggestion. Those buttons would be really helpfull.

I noticed some packages at npackd.appspot.com/p are marked as 'up-to-date' so there are probably already checks for outdated packages. Just need to know if the check also reports outdated packages to the creators of the package.

Tim Lebedkov

Jan 3, 2017, 4:44:48 PM1/3/17
to Npackd
Hello Sander,

Am Dienstag, 3. Januar 2017 09:59:44 UTC+1 schrieb san...@bitsnip.be:
Hello all

I love Npackd but am finding multiple outdated packages. What's the best way to report outdated download links?
Should I email the creator of the package or the editor of the last version?

I check all packages once every 3 months. If you find a package which was not updated for longer than that, please file an issue

The editor who 'last modified' the last version is (almost) always Tim Lebedkov. Probably because he has to approve new versions.

You're right, the "modified by" value will be overwritten unfortunately in this case. This should probably be changed.

I may want to maintain some packages to help keep the packages up to date. But I still have some questions about the trustworthiness of packages maintained or created by unknown/new users.

Every package has to be approved by an administrator (me). Let me know if you would like to know something specific.

Tim Lebedkov

Jan 3, 2017, 4:50:59 PM1/3/17
to Npackd
I updated Paint.net. They decided recently to only make the newest version available.

Tor Browser, LibreOffice were updated. It will take at least 2 days before they are checked and available in the repository.

Tim Lebedkov

Jan 3, 2017, 4:51:45 PM1/3/17
to Npackd
see my answer at Github

Tim Lebedkov

Jan 3, 2017, 4:52:33 PM1/3/17
to Npackd

Am Dienstag, 3. Januar 2017 19:12:47 UTC+1 schrieb san...@bitsnip.be:
Thank you for mentioning that suggestion. Those buttons would be really helpfull.

see my answer at Github

I noticed some packages at npackd.appspot.com/p are marked as 'up-to-date' so there are probably already checks for outdated packages. Just need to know if the check also reports outdated packages to the creators of the package.

There are automatic checks. No emails are sent currently.

san...@bitsnip.be

Jan 4, 2017, 3:54:29 AM1/4/17
to Npackd
Hello Tim

Thank you for all you answers.
I will file an issue when a package hasn't been updated in 3 months at https://github.com/tim-lebedkov/npackd/issues/new.
I will think about maintaining some packages and email you some questions if needed.

Tim Lebedkov

Jan 13, 2017, 1:58:03 PM1/13/17
to Npackd
I changed the program so that it now shows the who created a particular package version