Re: Anyone installed NMAS on Windows Vista???

Alan Adams

Nov 6, 2009, 1:28:26 PM11/6/09
yjkim <yj...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> Anyone installed NMAS on Windows Vista???
>
> It take a error.;There was an error installing NMAS
> Challenge Response Method. Error Code: 1603

If you're installing NMAS and the NMAS Challenge/Response method in
conjunction with the Novell Client, I believe there was an issue in
the older versions of the NMAS installers in that they depended on
NICI to be initializing successfully, which may or may not have
actually been true when performing a NICI upgrade or similar.

If you're not already, use the "Novell Client 2 for Windows
Vista/2008" from novell.com/downloads, or even the "Novell Client 2
for Windows Vista/2008 (IR1a)" from the patches section of
novell.com/downloads which includes some post-release updates.

If you're actually just trying to use stand-alone NMAS and/or NMAS
Challenge/Response method installers from the server or from a Novell
product CD, the older versions may very well not be compatible with
Windows Vista. Use the version of NMAS included in the Novell Client
for Windows Vista/2008 to be sure its the Vista-compatible version.

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan....@novell.com

Novell
Making IT Work As One
www.novell.com

Upgrade to OES Community
http://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/upgradetooes/

Alan Adams

Nov 24, 2009, 7:37:31 PM11/24/09
yjkim <yj...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> Anyone installed NMAS on Windows Vista???
>
> It take a error.;There was an error installing NMAS
> Challenge Response Method. Error Code: 1603

I actually did get a chance to see someone who was having a 1603 error
specifically from the NMAS Challenge Response Method installer on
Windows 7.

In their case, the NMASCRInst64.log was showing an error as though the
installed NMAS client did not qualify as "3.4.4.0 or later", even
though NMAS 3.4.4.3 had just installed successfully immediately before
the NMAS Challenge Response Method installer ran:

> MSI (s) (7C:00) [13:18:12:307]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Novell\NMAS\client_info 3: 5
> MSI (s) (7C:00) [13:18:12:307]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error
> MSI (s) (7C:00) [13:18:12:307]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1402
> Info 1402.Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Novell\NMAS\client_info. System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
> MSI (s) (7C:00) [13:18:12:307]: Doing action: LaunchConditions
> MSI (s) (7C:00) [13:18:12:307]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: ActionText
> Action ended 13:18:12: AppSearch. Return value 1.
> Action start 13:18:12: LaunchConditions.
> MSI (s) (7C:00) [13:18:12:307]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error
> MSI (s) (7C:00) [13:18:12:307]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1709
> MSI (s) (7C:00) [13:18:12:307]: Product: NMAS Challenge Response Method -- NMAS Client version 3.4.4.0 or later is required
>
> NMAS Client version 3.4.4.0 or later is required
> Action ended 13:18:12: LaunchConditions. Return value 3.
> Action ended 13:18:12: INSTALL. Return value 3.

And most specifically, the above MSI log is saying that the
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Novell\NMAS\client_info] key (which is
where NMAS stores its version information) simply could not be opened,
due to error code 5 (ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED).

> Info 1402.Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Novell\NMAS\client_info.
> System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

Examination of the machine's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive showed
that indeed, the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Novell\NMAS\client_info]
key did exist and did contain the correct 3.4.4.3 version information,
BUT the registry key had security applied to it which only permitted
"system" and "msiserver" to access the key. Which is why the NMAS
Challenge Response installer was receiving ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED during
the precondition check.

In this particular case, the Windows 7 installation was an upgrade
from Windows Vista, and the original Windows Vista installation was an
OEM factory image. Since an issue such as this had never been seen in
any of the straight/clean Windows 7 installations tested, performing a
known clean Windows 7 installation was the customer's first choice,
and did successfully eliminate the issue.

Jeffrey D Sessler

Jan 28, 2010, 10:14:42 PM1/28/10
Alan,

I've run into this on a Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit, and that's how it started
life.

Jeff

"Alan Adams" <alan....@novell.com> wrote in message

Jeffrey Sessler

Jan 30, 2010, 1:49:47 PM1/30/10
On 2010-01-29 08:16:02 -0800, monsieurbob4 said:

> I was able to do a work arround by removing NMAS and creating the
> following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Novell\NMAS. I gave the system
> and administrators groups full rights to this key and sub keys. Then, I
> reinstalled the Novell Client. This time the installation went through
> without and issues.
>
> Hope this helps.

I tried something similar. I deleted the NMAS key altogether, and tried
the install again, but got the same failure again, and the NMAS key
permissions were again broken. I then deleted and recreated the NMAS
key as you did, with the same rights, and the install worked.

It gets me past the current issue, but it would be helpful to know why
it's failing in the first place. I've had two systems (one Win7 and the
other Vista) this week with the problem.

Jeff