After login, it returns to Ctrl-Alt-Del

RVT

Sep 29, 2004, 4:02:00 PM9/29/04
XPSP1 workstations with Client 4.90SP2
Ctrl-Alt-Del enabled before login

So the users press Ctrl-Alt-Del and enter their login credentials. It
appears to authenticate, no errors...but it flashes for about 1 second and
bounces right back to the Ctrl-Alt-Del screen. It's not account related
since other accounts will also not work. And even more strange, I can't
login with "workstation only" either. If I try to authenticate using the
local administrator account, it does the same thing and bounces back to the
Ctrl-Alt-Del.

If I reboot and let it sit for a few seconds before logging in....it seems
to work although my testing has been minimal since I can't reproduce it
after they login successfully. This is by no means happening to all
machines. We're in the middle of our XP rollout and it tends to happen to
machines soon after we image them. Any ideas??

TIA,
Ryan

RVT

Sep 29, 2004, 4:32:12 PM9/29/04
I think I finally found it:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2969850.htm

Question: Can I replace a single file (loginw32.dll) without installing the
full post sp2-pkc update?

Thanks.

"RVT" <r...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Hamish

Sep 29, 2004, 7:16:29 PM9/29/04
RVT,

RVT,

You should be okay just updating the single file, but its generally
recommend to install the full patch.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)

Alan Adams

Sep 30, 2004, 10:18:36 AM9/30/04
It would certainly be at your own risk, since we're second-guessing
which changes to which files might actually be inter-dependant.

To help cover your bets I would suggest taking LOGINW32.DLL,
LGNWNT32.DLL and LOGINW32.RLL instead of just the single file, if not
applying the entire set as a whole.

"RVT" <r...@nospam.com> wrote:

Alan Adams, MCNE

RVT

Oct 1, 2004, 7:55:17 AM10/1/04
Thanks for the comments Alan and Hamish!

"Alan Adams" <add...@withheld.com> wrote in message