Re: A domain controller could not be found for the specified dom

Alan Adams

May 14, 2009, 7:31:58 PM5/14/09
rblakey <rbl...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> We're currently running Netware 6.5 w/sp7. We have a Mac/w leopard OS
> attached to our network. It's logging into a windows xp box with novell
> client 4.91sp5 via remote desktop, but all of sudden were getting this
> error "a domain controller could not be found for the specified domain".
> We don't have a domain controller. All our PC's are in workgroup not a
> domain. Also other win xp PC's can log into this remote PC without any
> problem via remote desktop.

Yes, "domain" is generically how the Novell Client refers to the
"login domain" being specified for the Windows account logon. Which
may be the local workstation name, or may be the name of a domain that
the local workstation has established a trust relationship with.

Since its assumed that the local computer name is never the "not
found" case, the error message says "domain controller", for what its
worth.

For a remote desktop scenario, the top suspicion is that the RDP
client is passing something unusual or invalid for the "domain"
string. The RDP client is able to pre-supply a specific username,
password and "domain" as part of the terminal connection, in order to
have the remote desktop session automatically login as a particular
Windows user account.

If the string supplied by the RDP client as the "domain" (which again,
can be the local computer name as it would be in your case, or can be
the name of an actual domain the workstation is a member of) is not
recognized as being an accessible source of Windows user accounts, the
"unable to find domain controller" error will ensue.

When this error happens, and you're presented with the interactive
login dialog, what information is in the "Windows" tab and/or in the
"From:" field for the Windows user account? If the wrong information
was passed from the RDP client, typically that information is still in
the login dialog once it's presented interactively.

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan....@novell.com

Novell