LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-890: The specified server is unknown.

ianm...@hereward.ac.uk

Jan 12, 2006, 8:39:13 AM1/12/06
nw65sp4, xpsp2, client 491sp2 (conn patch)

In the login script I an getting the above error when mapping to a local
drive.

map s16: = c:\anyfolder
LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-890: The specified server is unknown.

I thought this was just my machine playing up but when I updated another
machine the same happeded again.

Is sp2 designed like this or is it a bug, it has always worked with the
older versions and service packs.

Ian Meaton
Nerwork Manager, Hereward College, UK

Tony Pedretti

Jan 12, 2006, 9:54:29 AM1/12/06
Ian,

Are all volume objects associated correctly and DS in good shape?...

Clients are losing drive mappings
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061739.htm

Is a bindery or NDS syntax used to create drive mappings?...

Login-4.21.15-890: The specified server is unknown
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10061463.htm

Is SLP setup to resolve NetWare services/names over IP?
If so, masking any info. you might consider a security hazard please post
the results of SLPINFO /A run from the command-prompt on a Windows
workstation.

Usually having the proper firewall ports open, SLPDAs setup for redundancy
and minimizing the number of network clients/GINAs on Windows is enough to
prevent the most common errors. As each environment is different some
additional tweaking may be necessary.
In the past (e.g. clients 4.83 - 4.90 SP1), these settings were used to
avoid the "Tree or server not found" error, but its possible one of the
others could apply to your issue. One of the sysops here discovered that
setting the "Check SRVLOC loaded Retries" value to around 9-10 for that
particular issue helped.

What UDP ports does SLP need?
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10079087.htm

NetWare Client registry settings to control the behavior of SLP
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10086052.htm

This Windows XP SP2 firewall and SLP configuration exception may be
necessary, but as stated is not recommended...

Error: 886f returned in the login script.
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10096549.htm

Server or Tree not found after applying Windows XP sp2
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10095407.htm

You can also use TCPView to see what processes are trying to connect over...
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

Some people have recommended to update the TCPIP stack (TCP update) on
NetWare in regards to unusual disconnects...

Random errors in login script when attempting to login
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10093394.htm

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion Corporation

ianm...@hereward.ac.uk

Jan 13, 2006, 3:57:17 AM1/13/06
Tony,

This is only related to local drive mappings during the login script,

map s16: = c:\windows

does not work on 491sp2, it works on all other client releases.

All server/cluster mapped drives are working ok on all machines.

Ian

Tony Pedretti

Jan 14, 2006, 11:36:01 PM1/14/06
I can reproduce with varitions of MAP INS resulting in...

LOGIN-LGNWNT32.DLL-890: The specified server is unknown.

Outside of the Path environment variable in the default script its not
clear if local search paths are still a supported function...

How do Search Drive mappings work with WINNT/2000 environment PATH variable?
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10063443.htm

How to map a drive
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10062794.htm

MAP and local search paths
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?2907262.htm

If you have not already opened a service request or otherwise escalated,
you might consider reporting this as a defect...

Report a Software Defect (bug)
http://support.novell.com/additional/bugreport.html

--
Tony Pedretti

ianm...@hereward.ac.uk

Jan 16, 2006, 8:29:36 AM1/16/06
Tony,
Thanks for your input.

I will report this to my Netware supplier who will forward the issue to
Novell.

sp1 and sp2 work differently mapping local drives, they work the same
using the path command.

I have placed a path to the local drives in the container login script
before the network server map commands. This has preserved the previous
windows paths.

The tids, Login script Help files and windows path /? commands are all
slightly different in their wording and syntax which needed a little
trial and error before I could get the drive mapping working the same on
sp1/sp2.

IanM