Re: Issues adding printers in iPrint

Ron Neilly

Feb 22, 2010, 6:14:40 PM2/22/10
gregls wrote:

> I recently replaced our Netware Server with a new 6.5sp8 server. I
> installed iPrint durring the installation and thought everything was
> working. The Broker and PrintManager loaded on the new server and
> recognized the existing printers and allowed me to print using the
> iPrint client.

Q: Allowed you to print from what operating system?

> I recently tried to add printer to a new PC. After I loaded the client
> I tried to install a printer and I received an error message that there
> were no drivers.

Q: What operating system is this new PC running? If it is not the same as
the working pc that you mention above then it probably means that you have
not uploaded the OS specific driver to your new Broker. After you upload the
new driver remember to then go into your Printer object and add that new
driver to the Printer. I'm thinking that the working PC is running Windows
XP and the new PC is running Windows Vista/7...

> I went iManager and checked the Broker and there were no drivers listed
> there.

Q: Do you mean that there are no drivers for any OS platform, or just for a
specific OS platform? If for a specific OS platform, which one - Win
Vista/7?

If there are no drivers listed for ANY OS platform then did you transfer the
RMS driver store files from the old server to the new server? Is the old
server still running or has it been decommissioned?

> I opened the printer object and there were no drivers listed
> there as well.

Q: No drivers for any/all platforms or just a specific one?

> I then tried to create a printer driver profile and
> received the error message "Printer Driver Profile Management is
> currently not supported on this platform"

Q: What OS and what browser are you using ? I suspect that you are using
some non-IE browser. Currently only IE can be used to create a Profile and
you have to be using the same OS as the driver is designed for. So if you
want to create a Profile for Win 7 then you must be running Win 7 for both
the upload of the driver to the Broker's RMS and for the
creation/modification of the Profile.

> I then went into Broker management and tried to add a driver using "Add
> from file" and received the following error message "The specified
> module could not be found"

Q: What is the make and model of printer you are trying to upload a driver
for and what OS is the driver written for and what OS are you running and
what browser are you using?

> Any sugestions would be appeciated.

Since iPrint supports Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, Mac OS X, and Linux
and a large variety of printers (but not all - the personal printers from HP
are problematic) and since iManager works with most browsers, but has
specific requirements for iPrint driver management I suggest a more thorough
explanation of the problem ;-).

Cheers,

Ron

warper2

Feb 23, 2010, 9:01:35 AM2/23/10
gregls wrote:

> I recently replaced our Netware Server with a new 6.5sp8 server. I
> installed iPrint durring the installation and thought everything was
> working. The Broker and PrintManager loaded on the new server and
> recognized the existing printers and allowed me to print using the
> iPrint client.
>

> I recently tried to add printer to a new PC. After I loaded the client
> I tried to install a printer and I received an error message that there
> were no drivers.
>

> I went iManager and checked the Broker and there were no drivers listed

> there. I opened the printer object and there were no drivers listed
> there as well. I then tried to create a printer driver profile and

> received the error message "Printer Driver Profile Management is
> currently not supported on this platform"
>

> I then went into Broker management and tried to add a driver using "Add
> from file" and received the following error message "The specified
> module could not be found"
>

> Any sugestions would be appeciated.

By the sound of this you did a migration from old server to new server
possibly. If that is true I have only successfully everytime gotten the
driver store over by manually copying the ndps folder in sys volume to
somewhere before the migrate. After the migrate and the install of the
services for the new server including iprint I than go and copy the
contents from the backed up ndps folder to the sys:ndps folder on the new
server. Has never failed for me.

If this was not the case disregard. If it is the case you should still be
able to get this off the old server by installing a temp directory on it
and it not connected to the network and copy it off.