Archive Error - 8200.

Mike Goodson

Aug 28, 2009, 10:28:24 AM8/28/09

Wonder if someone can help please? All of our users archive their e-mail over 60 days to a server volume, this is configured through ConsoleOne > each users Client Options > Environment. The volume is 1TB in size and currently has 480GB free, it is located in the same building as the users.

Some users have started to receive 8200 errors when they either try and access their archive, or if they can access it, when they try and open any message. The volume is not backed-up at all (we do periodic snapshots) and the users do not map a drive per se to the volume. Most users have no problem accessing this archive.

We have two different PO's that use this archive store and users who have received the 8200 error are spread across the two. Running a GWCheck on the user account resolves the issue, but we seem to receive more and more as the days go by.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

Michael Bell

Aug 28, 2009, 11:36:44 AM8/28/09
8200 is an io error. Their archives might be damaged, run a gwcheck
(backup first) on an archive and see.

The problem with archiving on a server is it's direct file locking
access. For a DB like an archive, this can be asking for trouble.

Mike Goodson

Sep 1, 2009, 9:02:00 AM9/1/09
Michael

Thanks for your reply. So in a corporate environment where you want to
centrally manage Groupwise archiving for your users and to back-up the data,
what would you do?

Many thanks
Mike

"Michael Bell" <mikeb...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message

Michael Bell

Sep 1, 2009, 10:41:25 AM9/1/09
Mike Goodson wrote:
> Michael
>
> Thanks for your reply. So in a corporate environment where you want to
> centrally manage Groupwise archiving for your users and to back-up the
> data, what would you do?
>
> Many thanks
> Mike

There are no ideal answers here, unfortunately. What you are doing is
reasonable, but more prone to coruptiion than a local coy.

If you wish to stick with that methodology, you'll need to make sure all
your networks clients are patched/up-to-date. If using the NetWare
client (you don't mention your NOS), make sure opporunistic locking/op
locking is disabled at the server, and consider disabling file caching
and forcing true commiit at the client (this will however hurt overall
performance of your network file server usage).

Alternatively, begin looking into long term archiving solutions such as
GWAVA Retain (disclaimer: I am senior dev on this), Nexic Discovery, or
M+ Archive.

There are other replication options like rsync. These aren't quite as
safe as far as the backup being completely clean, but then the archives
could remain local.

Mike Goodson

Sep 2, 2009, 6:47:14 AM9/2/09
Thanks again Michael, I looked on the GWAVA site yesterday actually so maybe
should contact them directly?

Ideally going forward I would like a storage/archive solution for Groupwise
that was not located on file servers and was accessible independently of the
Groupwise client. Incase a) users want access remotely to archive without
connecting to our internal network (so sticking the device on our DMZ say)
and b) in the event we migrate away from Groupwise to another messaging
solution.

Regards, Mike