Can't change Passwords

Jim R

Aug 1, 2009, 7:51:32 PM8/1/09
GW657 on NetWare 6.5 SP7

Change password in ConsoleOne, can't use new password
Clear password, doesn't work.
After this, old password worked on both boxes.
Created new user, could not login to GroupWise.
GWCheck ran fine.

ideas?

Thanx

Jim

Uwe Buckesfeld

Aug 3, 2009, 6:25:08 AM8/3/09
Jim,

make sure you have full rights to the domain database, then check the links between your MTA and the POs.

Uwe

Jim R

Aug 3, 2009, 7:45:52 AM8/3/09
Can now use new account.

Tried gwpasswd utility. Change still did not take.

Have done multiple rebuilds of db files while trying to fix post
office.

Have new tree / GW Server. Want to migrate users.

Help Please.

Jim

Jim R

Aug 3, 2009, 10:14:56 AM8/3/09
I do have full access, and the links are good.

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:25:08 GMT, Uwe Buckesfeld <u.buck...@gmx.de>

Jim R

Aug 3, 2009, 10:29:28 AM8/3/09
If the user signs on, then they can change the password from the
client.

Thanx

Jim

Uwe Buckesfeld

Aug 3, 2009, 1:40:04 PM8/3/09
Jim,

not sure I understand you completely: Is your problem solved now?

Uwe

Massimo Rosen

Aug 3, 2009, 3:38:33 PM8/3/09

Jim R wrote:

> I do have full access, and the links are good.

The links are very obviously not good. Your admin chnages never make it
to the postoffice, which means the domain you make the chnages to can't
/ don't talk to the PO. Of course, you may be connected to a wrong path
with your ConsoleOne. Have you recently copied your GW system to a new
location?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

Massimo Rosen

Aug 3, 2009, 3:39:39 PM8/3/09

Jim R wrote:

> If the user signs on, then they can change the password from the
> client.

That's expected, as they do it right against their mailbox. When you
make a chnage with ConsoleOne though, the chnage is made to the domain
*not* the Postoffice. The domain then sends the chnage to the
PostOffice, and that part fails in your case.

Tommy Mikkelsen

Aug 3, 2009, 6:56:06 PM8/3/09
Jim R wrote:

> Have new tree / GW Server

Ahhh.......Then as Massimo says....make sure you are not connected to
the Old servers domain......

C1/Tools/GW Sys. Ops./Select Domain

Then try again

--
Tommy Mikkelsen
IT Quality A/S, Denmark

Sorry, but no support through email
Be a GroupWiseR, go http://www.groupwiser.net

Jim R

Aug 4, 2009, 1:54:05 PM8/4/09
Not sure what is wrong with the links then.

Single Server, tried both UNC, and IP with same results.

Link looks the same to me as the new environment we just created. That
is why I thought they were fine. Was setup by 1 tech, I took over
because it was not working, and also had 2 other techs look at system
and concurred it 'should' be working. :}

The new environment works fine.

How do I trace where the link may be wrong?

Does the GWPasswd use the domain like the ConsoleOne?

For the new GW system, we manually ported over mailboxes. Have users
resetting password in old system so we can do maint.

Would still be interested in knowing what I am missing so I know for
the future.

Thank You for your time.

Jim

Jim R

Aug 4, 2009, 1:55:48 PM8/4/09
Yup, did that also.

Tried C1 from the install for both GW 6 and GW 7. 1.35, 1.36, 1.36f,
1.36h.

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:56:06 GMT, "Tommy Mikkelsen" <t...@NoSpAmitq.dk>

Tommy Mikkelsen

Aug 4, 2009, 6:14:26 PM8/4/09
And when changing it from C1, and having the POA in verbose logging, do
you see the change appear in the log ?

Jim R

Aug 14, 2009, 10:10:50 AM8/14/09
No, I do not.

And found yesterday, could change with local GWCheck.

I know I shouldn't add an issue, but am concerned it could be 2
symptoms of the same problem.

I have two users on the old PO that get "the system administrator has
temporarily closed this mailbox."

Of course, I checked expired, disabled, changed and put back etc...

I know it was stated my links are not right, but how do I see where
they are broken?

Thanks for your time.

Jim

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 22:14:26 GMT, "Tommy Mikkelsen" <t...@NoSpAmitq.dk>
wrote:

>And when changing it from C1, and having the POA in verbose logging, do

Tommy Mikkelsen

Aug 14, 2009, 10:47:04 AM8/14/09
Then start by making sure, that the admin thread on the POA or MTA
isn't disabled

--
Tommy Mikkelsen
IT Quality A/S, Denmark