Client applicatiion gives error 34948 (0x8884) after reboot

sanjay...@abc.com

Jan 12, 2006, 6:01:26 AM1/12/06
Hi All,
We have a small client application which connects to NDS server and then
send some requests to the server.

Everything was working fine and suddenly the application didnt connect
with NDS server and gives error 34948.

After tracing the error in application , found that the DS API
NWDSOpenConnToNDSServer is giving this error.

After few attempts to connect to the server with the application , seems
to work , but this is not fix solution............as some times it doesnt
connect after many attempts.

Again the same problem (error 34948) occurs after restarting the NDS
server.

we have multiple server under one tree and its mix of all version
I am using novell client 4.90 on the workstation where the application is
running and thats a netware box.
I can browse to the container where the user/server is located and the
netware connection shows valid connection to the tree (although to diff
servers than what I am trying to connect from the application , but I
think that should not make any diff, as I am logging from my application )

Any help!

Thanks in advance

Rostislav Letos

Jan 12, 2006, 9:03:00 AM1/12/06
Sanjay,

34948 (0x8884) stands for RESOLVE_SVC_FAILED.
This error is usually returned back by the underlying client APIs in case
server name or tree name cannot be resolved, for any reason.
It can be incorrect parameter passed to APIs, intermittent network problem,...

Make sure you are using all NWDS calls and in the order as recommended by doc,
and also make sure your parameters do not get incidentally corrupted in the meantime.
Alternatively, you can test newer/different NW client, and/or NW client settings,
if the problem disappear.
In case you can easily duplicate this issue I would recommend you to take packet traces
from the affected client and analyze them. They can have answer to your problem.

Rostislav

>>> <sanjay...@abc.com> 1/12/2006 12:01 pm >>>

Text.htm

Jan 12, 2006, 9:00:43 AM1/12/06
Sanjay,

34948 (0x8884) stands for RESOLVE_SVC_FAILED.
This error is usually returned back by the underlying client APIs in case
server name or tree name cannot be resolved, for any reason.
It can be incorrect parameter passed to APIs, intermittent network problem,...

Make sure you are using all NWDS calls and in the order as recommended by doc,
and also make sure your parameters do not get incidentally corrupted in the meantime.
Alternatively, you can test newer/different NW client, and/or NW client settings,
if the problem disappear.
In case you can easily duplicate this issue I would recommend you to take packet traces
from the affected client and analyze them. They can have answer to your problem.

Rostislav

>>> <sanjay...@abc.com> 1/12/2006 12:01 pm >>>

Text.htm

Roger Thomas, DevNet SysOp 22

Jan 12, 2006, 3:06:11 PM1/12/06
As I commented to your post in one of the other forums, its worth
trying to update the NW client, as there has been fixes to resolve
this type of problem for other applications.