Arduino Mini clone boards

Dean

Feb 5, 2013, 10:29:18 AM2/5/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark who was doing the surface mount PCB's a few weeks ago looking at doing some arduino Mini clone boards

and will/may demo them at a future workshop: what is the interest

"I might have a look at getting some more of my Arduino Mini clone boards done - could be available at cost for those interested."

__Mark

Dean

Feb 11, 2013, 4:27:44 AM2/11/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
The chip it sis designed for is ATmega168 or 328, TQFP, the layout is attached
MiniProClone.png

Dean

Feb 11, 2013, 4:28:53 AM2/11/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
People who are interested in a one of the board please respnd to the list - thanks

Ian Lewis

Feb 11, 2013, 6:08:12 AM2/11/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dean

Can you let me know what the cost is and is there any change of a workshop on making them/surface mount soldering?

Thanks

Ian

Mark Tillotson

Feb 20, 2013, 10:43:49 AM2/20/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
Hi people, I am the Mark in question!

I am hoping to visit on this coming Monday 25th Feb to demonstrate solder stencil  / toaster oven SMT soldering
and be able to manufacture some of these clone boards, probably 10 initially, and a mix of ATmega168's and 328's

Those interested in the homebrew SMT process I use might like this link:
http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/130196-How-I-do-SMT-soldering-in-toaster-oven/page3?highlight=toaster%20oven
(post #44)

__Mark T

Adrian Godwin

Feb 20, 2013, 11:10:08 AM2/20/13
to Mark Tillotson, not-just...@googlegroups.com
Did you try it before moving a heater from top to bottom ? I
appreciate more heat is useful on the top but the lower one would
presumably help in getting the board to the right temperature. Maybe
should be run a bit cooler than the top one.

I have a toaster oven still in the box waiting for me to do something with ..

Adrian Godwin

Feb 20, 2013, 11:17:31 AM2/20/13
to Mark Tillotson, not-just...@googlegroups.com
I've soldered a QFN package
(http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/24311020/avecsynth-an-arduino-form-factor-midi-music-synthe/posts)
using a hot air gun similar to the one in the hackspace, using the
guide here : http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/Surface_Mount_Soldering/QFN

It took a couple of goes to get it right but it wasn't that difficult.
I put the rest of the components on with a soldering iron.

-adrian

marc barto

Feb 20, 2013, 2:34:40 PM2/20/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
I am hoping to visit on this coming Monday 25th Feb to demonstrate solder stencil / toaster oven SMT soldering
and be able to manufacture some of these clone boards, probably 10 initially, and a mix of ATmega168's and 328's

That's great news Mark thanks!

How much time would you need for the presentation? Please let me know if you need any equipment/set up.

Mark Tillotson

Feb 21, 2013, 5:25:21 AM2/21/13

On Wednesday, 20 February 2013 19:34:40 UTC, marc barto wrote:
I am hoping to visit on this coming Monday 25th Feb to demonstrate solder stencil / toaster oven SMT soldering
and be able to manufacture some of these clone boards, probably 10 initially, and a mix of ATmega168's and 328's

That's great news Mark thanks!

How much time would you need for the presentation? Please let me know if you need any equipment/set up.

I would think a couple of 15 / 20 min slots, firstly doing the stencil, then after populating board(s) the toasting step...

marc barto

Feb 21, 2013, 5:55:56 AM2/21/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
I would think a couple of 15 / 20 min slots, firstly doing the stencil, then after populating board(s) the toasting step...
Sounds good. I'll be there before the event if you want discuss any details.

Mark Tillotson

Feb 25, 2013, 12:03:46 PM2/25/13

On Thursday, 21 February 2013 10:55:56 UTC, marc barto wrote:
I would think a couple of 15 / 20 min slots, firstly doing the stencil, then after populating board(s) the toasting step...
Sounds good. I'll be there before the event if you want discuss any details.

Thanks - Well I can't promise to be there promptly, coming from Cambridge, hopefully ETA 7:45

__Mark

Ian Lewis

Feb 28, 2013, 3:59:44 AM2/28/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark

Thanks for coming in, I found it really interesting

Ian

Mark Tillotson

Mar 12, 2013, 7:08:21 PM3/12/13
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
BTW guys, if anyone is interested in a mini board I hope to have some time soon to make and finish
making a few, again at £10 each.   And remember like other mini boards they rely on a USB->serial
breakout.  I also plan some more documentation.

__Mark T