I got a Samsung SmartThings...

James Cadman

Oct 15, 2015, 4:50:54 AM10/15/15
to Not Just Arduino
Hey Guys,

I just received the UK version of the Samsung SmartThings 2 Starter Kit and did an unboxing. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6YhZRjItp0

I've had a very simple play with it last night and its.... not quite the IoT utopia I hoped but once you get a feel for the quirks it's not so bad. Current spouse approval level is low because of the missing features listed below, but it could get there. In terms of set up and config, it still not something I'd put in front of my Dad, even for the simpler stuff. There is some pretty major problems with their platform at the moment too: you can't add users to the hub (apparently it did work but now doesn't and they are working on fixing it.)

Here's the biggest one: OAuth doesn't work in the UK. They have messed about with server infrastructure and the UK servers don't have working OAuth, which means integration with basically anything except their own app is broken right now. This means some of the coolest and most useful features like IFTTT, Harmony remote, SmartTiles etc. just don't work. With a single motion, door and presence sensor, there isn't a massive amount that can be done. But with those other services however, it could be amazing... they are "working on fixing" this one, too - but looking across the forums it appears to have been more than a month in this state now.

One of the most promising (and exciting) aspects of the platform though is the ability to script your own automation. It's programmed using the Groovy language, which has a similar layout and structure to Wiring (Arduino) so if you're already playing around with Arduino, you will probably be able to get started pretty quickly. I see it as a great excuse to learn a new language and do some fancy things at home.

Anyway, I'll post more videos about it when I can, planning to do a video on each of the sensors and what they can do, then a separate overall review.

Feel free to sound off if you have any questions about this platform, I'll try my best to answer any of them and if you would like to see anything specific in a video please also shout up.

Cheers - James.

marc barto

Oct 15, 2015, 5:15:53 AM10/15/15
to James Cadman, Not Just Arduino
Thanks James for sharing.
That sucks about OAuth, if you can't play with existing IFTT recipes it does limits its use on the short term.

I did meet Alex, the Smart Things founder a few years back at the WebSummit, they had just raised big investment and they were promoting their development kit which I got to play with, it was quite fun but really expensive. Hope they will sort out their bugs.

cheers

Marc

James Cadman

Oct 15, 2015, 5:24:22 AM10/15/15
to Not Just Arduino, james...@gmail.com
Yeah it's a shame but I do plan to stick with it. I like the fact that I can add sensors and switches to it as i go, rather than needing a big initial investment. The way I am looking at it is that for the price of a mediocre wireless house alarm, i can have this set up to do the same thing, but with all the extra features on top. (It seems to do alarm functions really well.) So then i can automate stuff using the same sensors.

I think they are definitely on the right track with it all, but I can't help but shake the feeling that since the Samsung takeover, they have been directed from above to rollout in the UK despite the infrastructure not being ready, which is a shame. It feels Beta right now.

I'd really like to be able to add control of the cheap 433mhz devices to this, currently that can be done using the Arduino shield and RC-Switch lib, but that isn't officially available in the UK (something about zigbee power regulations being lower in the EU.) So right now it's a purchase on ebay for £65, the price of two ZWave sensors anyway... ho hum!

And I will say that the community is active and there is very regular appearances by reps from SmartThings, so they are definitely engaged but need to roll a bit quicker with these fixes!!

James.