OLED displays

Chris Roberts

Mar 5, 2015, 11:44:07 AM3/5/15
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
Hi NJA list!

Doing a project at the moment where I want to use an OLED display, and I'm wondering whether anyone knows of a good local-ish source of them.  I don't really want a breakout board (I'm happy soldering the flexpcb direct to my board, and space is tight). Monochrome (preferably white or blue), 128x64 would probably suffice (not full RGB or anything fancy).

There seems to be a lot on eBay of dubious heritage from Hong Kong, on breakout boards - with no indication of whether datasheets are available.  Farnell and RS have some for extortionate prices (Midas).  I can't really find anywhere else that stocks them locally.

Anyone got any suggestions?  Or, indeed, want to be rid of one you're not using :)

Cheers!

--
Chris Roberts
~

Faraz Sayed

Mar 6, 2015, 4:47:47 PM3/6/15
to not-just...@googlegroups.com
Hey Chris,
I have a few modules I had bought from banggood.com (http://www.banggood.com/buy/Oled-128.html). I can some along bring them along on Mondays, NJA meeting, The ones I have are SPI and they are on a breakout and I'll part with them for £4 each. If your really keen to have them on your board you could figure out a way to desolder it from the break out and fit it on yours. The display can be configured to work of spi or i2c by pulling up or down certain pins/traces, so your board needs to take this in mind. A link from banggood lead to a few documents and datasheets downloadable from here if you're interested https://app.box.com/s/jv5lhrzcmqx2utda7s6g.

Good luck
Faraz

Chris Roberts

Mar 7, 2015, 5:21:01 PM3/7/15
to Faraz Sayed, not-just...@googlegroups.com
Hi Faraz,

Aha!  That sounds like something I'd be interested in - next meeting is this coming Monday, right?  I'll come along with four golden coins :)

Chris Roberts

Mar 10, 2015, 7:36:15 AM3/10/15
to Faraz Sayed, not-just...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Faraz for this!

I managed to get it working with my Arduino Micro last night with the Adafruit SD1306 library, using hardware SPI.  As mentioned, the breakout board pre-configures the display into SPI mode, but the driver module supports a bunch of modes (8080/6800 parallel, I2C and SPI).  Hopefully, I can desolder the flex connector and solder it onto my own board and get access to those other modes.

The adafruit libraries take up quite a lot of space - for what I need, I might need write my own cut down library that just does what I need (mostly a bit of text and some filled in/empty squares, maybe a bitmap as well). Depends how complex the rest of my application code is though I guess!