micropython & esp8266

Toby Catlin

Feb 8, 2016, 4:55:02 AM2/8/16
to Norwich Hackspace
Someone mentioned (Ben i think) ESP82266 on the other thread.

This looks awesome and has doubled its funding goal
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/214379695/micropython-on-the-esp8266-beautifully-easy-iot/posts/1485145

The boards can be got for about £8 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0131V0WYI
and considering they have builtin wifi thats good value.

Nigel Waring

Feb 8, 2016, 5:39:06 AM2/8/16
to norwich-...@googlegroups.com
I've had micropython running on mine: https://github.com/micropython/micropython/tree/master/esp8266

The problem is (and with using lua too), the runtime takes up most of the resources on the mcu!  If you're only running something simple then that's fine - but certainly with lua there are stability issues with the runtime.  I've had the best experience using the arduino ide to program mine.

It's very exciting technology (especially given the price!)  I'll bring mine along this evening if anyone wants to have a play.

N.

Ben Norcutt

Feb 8, 2016, 9:37:31 AM2/8/16
to Norwich Hackspace
Yeah I'd seen that might back it.

I've ordered one of those boards from banggood.

Posted a load of links in another thread.

Ben