Interdisciplinary Workshop @ Norwich!

Lena Asai

Jun 27, 2016, 9:26:32 PM6/27/16
to Norwich Hackspace

Hello Norwich Hackspace!

We, Open Science School (http://openscienceschool.org/colabopenplant/), are organising a workshop series called Co-lab workshop at Jones Innes Centre and University of Cambridge.

The reason I am contacting you is because I am interested in involving hackers into our project. Through this workshop, we aim to hack how scientific research is supposed to work.
In Co-lab we want to explore how science can be 'made' from an alternate approach.

Questions which we hope to discuss in the workshop: How can Scientists place their research in the context of culture and society, to understand how their work is perceived by the public? How can artists and designer utilise their projects to reshape public perception on GMO and plant science? These are the type of discussion I hope to bring to the context of the workshop.

I would highly appreciate if you could help us circulate this message. I have attached website details, workshop content and flyer for further details. We will be holding discussions and presentations - I would love it if you could stop by for some sessions or practical lab experiments or the whole thing!

Thank you for your time,

Lena

CO-LAB OPENPLANT:

What is the future of plant research? Can we rethink how we eat, harvest and interact with plants? What if we can generate electricity from our garden? What if each household had its own algae bioreactor? How can GM crops be utilised other than for food consumption? Co-lab open plant series has the objective to create new research ideas around plant synthetic biology and fostering further collaborations by establishing links between designers, artists, and scientists. We will hold our workshop at University of Cambridge and John Innes Centre - both important institutions contributing to the development of plant science & synthetic biology.

Dates:

The workshop will consist of 2 and a half days of activities that bridges together artists, scientists and designers to brainstorm and work on an interdisciplinary project around synthetic biology and life engineering.

8 - 10 July:  Plant Sciences & Makespace University of Cambridge

11 - 13 July: Plant Sciences & Makespace University of Cambridge

23 - 25 September: John Innes Centre, Norwich

Workshop Schedules:

DAY 1

13.00 – 14.00 Introduction

14.00 – 15.00 Synbio technologies

15.00 – 16.00 Ethnographic approaches in research

16.00 – 18.00 Making electricity with plants

DAY 2

10.00 – 11.00 Scientific referencing

11.00 – 12.00 Practical case: Different types of collaboration

Lunch break

13.00 – 14.00 Upscaling technology

14.00 – 15.00 Downstream processing

15.00 – 17.00 Extracting plant pigments

17.00 – 18.00 Make groups

Evening Pub

DAY 3

10.00 – 11.00 Debriefing

11.00 – 12.00 Prototyping

Lunch break

13.00 – 14.00 Prototyping

14.00 – 16.00 Documentation

16.00 – 17.00 Presentation

Evening Pizza + drinks

Currently accepting participants through eventbrite (Choose 1 of the 3 day session)

http://openscienceschool.eventbrite.com

More details on workshop and past projects available on website: openscienceschool.org/co-lab

Contact openscie...@gmail.com or myself for more info or to help organizing.

Hope to see you there, it is going to be real fun!

Best,

Lena Asai

Lena Asai

Jun 27, 2016, 9:28:09 PM6/27/16