Hackintosh G5 Build

Toby Catlin

Feb 6, 2015, 4:30:35 PM2/6/15
to norwich-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I came across this build log http://imgur.com/a/n18GA that retro fits modern PC hardware into a Power Mac G5. I always thought they had a great design and are built like tanks. A similar quality case form the like of Antec would be hundreds and you can often find broken G5s on ebay for £30-40 quid.

Then these guys sell a conversion kit so you can mount standard PC power supplies and motherboards: http://www.thelaserhive.com/ which is about £80 so for about £300-400 you could have what Apple would have sold you for £2000

Great idea and innovative way to help promote a laser cutter business!

toby

Marion Catlin

Feb 6, 2015, 4:55:47 PM2/6/15
to norwich-...@googlegroups.com

Will it work with a G4. I have three of those

Toby Catlin

Feb 6, 2015, 5:07:29 PM2/6/15
to norwich-...@googlegroups.com
Well they are different shapes so of course the G5 kit wont fit but yes with enough cutting of the case and development of a G4 kit you could do it. You need a drawing of the power supply mounting, motherboard tray and backplate, then get these lasercut. I don't think the G4 case is anywhere as nice so I wouldn't bother.

Karl Ablitt

Feb 6, 2015, 5:42:54 PM2/6/15
to norwich-...@googlegroups.com
Thats a BIG looking case!  I guess not being a fan of Apple products it doesn't really float my boat but it is a very clever conversion!  Oil bath PC's are the way forward!