Rpi USB wifi

Glen Beestone

May 14, 2018, 10:43:17 AM5/14/18
to North East Makers

Can anyone recommend a USB wifi adapter that definitely work with an original Version 1 Rasbperry Pi model B

I’ve tried loads and either the device is not seen or it is seen but scanning for SSIDs produces nothing

These same USB wifi devices work fine in my RPi models 0, 2 and 3

( and it’s not the Rpi at fault as I have tried the same on another RPi-B)

There is an “official” raspberry pi dongle at https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/official-raspberry-pi-wifi-dongle# but I really need one with an external RP-SMA connector

Glen

David Pye

May 14, 2018, 10:51:31 AM5/14/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Ooh, that's interesting.

I wonder if it's power supply related?  IIRC Pi 1 is limited in its' current sourcing ability?

David

Alistair MacDonald

May 14, 2018, 1:04:03 PM5/14/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
That sounds odd, but I guess you knew that hence you posting it. the
following will help not at all...

I have been lucky in the past and both low cost Chinese imports I have
bought in the past work well on the original B. Sadly neither support
an external antenna. I have had power issues on long power cables but
that results in the Pi not booting or crashing when I "wget" a large
file. It is worth noting that this happens with an external HDD and
hardwired networking so is just power usage and not USB wifi specific.

I am presuming you checked, but is it the same distro on all the models?

Alistair
>> email to north-east-mak...@googlegroups.com.

Alistair MacDonald

May 14, 2018, 1:05:19 PM5/14/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Ps. I have overcome some power supply issues by feeding 5V in on the
GPIO 5V pin, but obviously that needs to be regulated.

On 14 May 2018 at 18:03, Alistair MacDonald

Glen Beestone

May 14, 2018, 1:11:09 PM5/14/18
to north-east-makers
Yes I've actually used the same SDcard (Max2Play) on both devices (with an adapter)

Also used a high power supply so I don't think it's that.

Maybe I've just been unlucky with the devices I've bought. But it's odd that they work in the newer Pi models

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Alistair MacDonald

May 14, 2018, 1:19:10 PM5/14/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I would not rule out the power issue just yet. The model B supply was
an issue for several reasons. The reason I had issue was because of
the resistance of the mini SMD. Have a look at
https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/raspberry-pi-schematics-revision-2-1
and search for "700ma" you will find the power circuit. This was only
one of the many issues that were addressed in the B+ and later models.

Feeding power directly in to the 5V rail bypasses this. Another thing
to check is to put a scope on TP1 and set it to capture on a falling
voltage just below 5V. When it updates you have a power issue.

Alistair