Anyone interested in helping out with a bid to design and construct a new educational building aimed at encouraging young makers?

formunkey

May 25, 2018, 9:37:10 AM5/25/18
to North East Makers
Hi

It's been a while since I've posted to the group, normally I post on behalf of my 3d printing and scanning business (formwurx) but this post is very different. For those of you who may have seen me at this years makerfaire I was demonstrating a low cost self build construction prototype I'm trying to get off the ground, whilst at the event I was invited to enter a design for a new building which is aimed at encouraging young people to get into the world of making. As part of my bid I would like to include elements designed (and possibly produced) by makers, these could be in the form of individual wall panels, lighting displays, fabric coverings, furniture (tables, chairs, desks, etc). I will be contacting the York Makerspace as well as others who were exhibiting at the Makerfaire to try and involve as many different skill sets as I can. If anyone in this group is interested could you please contact me at ja...@formwurx.co.uk, thanks and happy making!

Best Regards
Jason Spiller
formwurx.co.uk

Alistair MacDonald

May 25, 2018, 10:51:58 AM5/25/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

Just a warning that 1) You are not the first to come up with this kind of idea, and 2) This sounds very similar to a project being built at the Centre for Life.

If you just want this to exist and are not bothered about it being you running it then I urge you put your weight behind one of the other projects. I am putting my support behind Life as it has a realistic chance of making it happen. Truth be told I do not feel the same about any of the other projects that have mostly vanished.

All the best,

  Alistair

Jason Spiller

May 25, 2018, 11:44:39 AM5/25/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alistair

Thanks for the response, I think you may have misinterpreted my message. It isn't me setting up the space, I've been invited to tender a design by the organisation that is funding the new building, if my design is chosen I'd like to involve makers in some elements of the finished design. I hope that makes things a bit clearer.

Best regards
Jason

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "North East Makers" group.

Alistair MacDonald

May 25, 2018, 5:03:13 PM5/25/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Right. With you now. I wish you luck then.

So obvious questions...

* Where is it?
* What age/community is it intended for?
* Is this paid work, unpaid work, or just asking for ideas for others to make?

  Alistair

Jason Spiller

May 26, 2018, 6:42:55 AM5/26/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alistair

To answer your questions:

1) I can't say (if I get the contract then that will change), other than it is local to the North East
2) It will be primarily aimed at school/college age users,but will be for all age/skill  groups
3) Unsure. Right now I'm just looking to see if there would be any interest from group members, it really depends on how the contract with the client would be written, but as a general response I would say that material costs would be covered, but I couldn't give a solid answer re payment for time at the moment.

Obviously this is all dependent on getting the contract in the first place.

Cheers
Jason

Alistair MacDonald

May 26, 2018, 7:38:28 AM5/26/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Right, okay, I will leave it until you can say more. If I am honest am not comfortable with the I can not tell you thing. It feels like we are being used slightly.

  Alistair

Brian Degger

May 26, 2018, 9:28:01 AM5/26/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Alistair on that.

Decide first whether time will be paid. Don't say...you are unsure. You are the one writing it. Make it part of your proposal.

What about time frame?
Is it a tight turnaround?

Cheers,

Jason Spiller

May 26, 2018, 2:54:21 PM5/26/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Hi Gents

Just to be clear on this, as I mentioned in my earlier posts I am bidding for the work, as of now it is a closed process, this is why I can't release specific details, if I get the work I can then be specific and will be happy to do so, my original post was merely to see if anyone in the Makerspace would be interested in being involved. I think it best for the moment if I leave this discussion alone and return to it once the bidding process is over and should I get the work I can then come back and discuss the issue in more detail.

Thanks guys.

Regards
Jason