Mould making/ resin casting tutorial session - Tuesday 27th March

Benjamin

Mar 20, 2018, 6:01:28 PM3/20/18
to North East Makers
Hello Makers!

This Tuesday 27th from 6:30, I'll run the first of two tutorials on how to do Resin Casting, going through the basics of:
 - Preparing and degassing materials
 - Encasing things (delicate items, circuits, etc) in clear resin
 - Making resin shapes/ figurines by making silicone casts of 3D prints/ plasticine models/  etc
 - Infusing metal particles to give a metallic effect
 - Intro to GRP and embedding fibres (preparing notch tests to roughly assess relative strengths)
 - Other considerations (tips, potential issues, etc)

Equipment, and reasonable quantities of consumables will be supplied. Silastic 3481 and Water Clear Resin, release agent, etc
Wear old clothes and bring disposable gloves if you have them

Grab a bag of Plasticine from Makerspace (above the member box stores) and take your time making a figurine ready for next week. Or find/ make a lasercut box to cast into. We will make the silicone moulds ready for casting the resin in the following session.

Come along, even if you just want to watch from a safe distance.. or even if (especially if) you've had experience with casting, as advice and suggestions are always welcome. I'm by no means a pro at this.
Open to everyone who plays nice (i.e. including non-members of Maker Space), please give us a heads up if you are coming.

In the meantime, please suggest things to make with it/ cool things you've seen done, e.g.:

Image result for encasing electronics amplifier

Casting soft silicone robots http://superreleaser.com/

Concrete casting
Image result for diy concrete silicone

Making models:

Dominic Stenton

Mar 22, 2018, 6:07:32 AM3/22/18
to North East Makers
Benjamin, you couldn't have posted this at a better time! Really looking forward to the workshop. I have an object that I want to cast, to then use for overmoulding. It is a conical piece with rough dimensions 55x55x65mm - will this be too big for the workshop?

Thanks,
Dominic

David Reid

Mar 22, 2018, 6:07:32 AM3/22/18
to North East Makers
Hey,

Take a look at our wedding flowers which I presume were made in the same way!

image1.PNG

Dominic Stenton

Mar 22, 2018, 8:01:28 AM3/22/18
to North East Makers
Hm can't seem to be able to load the image but they sure sound cool!

Also those 'soft robots' Benjamin posted are amazing/ amazingly creepy

Brian Degger

Mar 22, 2018, 8:27:37 AM3/22/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Great one on the soft robotics,
There's a great website with some things we could do.
Sadly, cant make tuesday night this week, maybe I could prepare for week2?

https://softroboticstoolkit.com/resources-for-educators/soft-gripper

Cheers

Brian Degger
twitter: @drbrian

Benjamin

Mar 22, 2018, 11:31:59 AM3/22/18
to North East Makers
Dominic, sounds interesting. Bring it along and we'll have a look. If its an unusual shape it may require making a fitted casting box/ split mould/ etc.. either way we can definitely prove the method with a trial run on Tuesday

David, I'm intrigued. Was it anything like this:
Image result for cast wedding flowers
I wonder if you have to freeze-dry it first or something to stop it rotting from the inside. Still, bring along a former to make a silicone mould of, ready for casting next time.

Brian, Loving the idea of Acetate to make the air pocket. http://superreleaser.com/ used wax but that's a lengthy, tricky and presumably problematic process. Maybe they could use a stencil to spray on a release agent like vaseline to do the same thing.. that would stop the acetate corners from stabbing through the rubber. If you make a little mould and leave it somewhere obvious (covered to keep the dust out), I'll pour in some silicone on Tuesday.
Same goes for any ideas for microfluidics channels you want doing. Its opaque so bear in mind you'd need to view it through the glass of the microscope slide

Stuart, If you have a small LED cloud that you want encased in clear epoxy (~1/2 cup otherwise shrinkage and overheating becomes challenging) or even just lacquering in epozy then I'd happily oblige.. even if its sometime after this week.

Auto Generated Inline Image 1