Maker Space now has an Amazon Echo Dot

Alistair MacDonald

Aug 11, 2017, 11:20:52 AM8/11/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
We now have an Amazon Echo Dot in the space to play with.

It is plugged in next to the media server but works from all over the room even if you whisper. Just say "Alexa tell me a joke" and you will probably regret it. Saying things like "Alexa play BBC Six Music" may be more useful. I hope to link it in to the media server soon.

Also saying "Alexa ask Maker Space are you open?" will tell you if the space is open according to the switch. Yes, that switch, the one 5" from the Echo Dot. :-)

  Alistair

Glen Beestone

Aug 11, 2017, 11:39:49 AM8/11/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
cool !

Now what can we automate with sonoff switches ?

:-)

Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 at 4:20 PM
From: "Alistair MacDonald" <alistair....@gmail.com>
To: north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [Makers] Maker Space now has an Amazon Echo Dot

Glen Beestone

Aug 11, 2017, 1:24:05 PM8/11/17
to North East Makers
We could add sonoffs to the florescent battens in the "office" area so we can switch them independently off the lighting when we use the projector

:+)
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Alistair MacDonald

Jon Davies

Alistair MacDonald

Aug 17, 2017, 5:51:01 AM8/17/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
The what is "what is playing" update is now live and can be accessed by anyone.

I also have some usage stats. Excluding me testing and use in the space this skill has been used a total of, err, one time. Yay. :-)

  Alistair

On 14 August 2017 at 16:48, Jon Davies <jon.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
kewls

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 at 14:32 Alistair MacDonald <alistair....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have just added the ability to ask what is playing. In the space just say "Alexa ask Maker Space what is playing". This will not work outside the space just yet.

  Alistair

On 11 August 2017 at 18:24, Glen Beestone <gl...@technologist.com> wrote:
We could add sonoffs to the florescent battens in the "office" area so we can switch them independently off the lighting when we use the projector

:+)
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 11/08/2017, 16:39 Glen Beestone <gl...@technologist.com> wrote:
cool !

Now what can we automate with sonoff switches ?

:-)

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 3, 2017, 7:33:35 AM10/3/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I have added a few more features to the Maker Space skill. You can now "ask Maker Space what is the weather like outside" and "ask Maker Space where is the closest rain". We are also monitoring the temperature as of yesterday and you can  "ask Maker Space what is the temperature in the workshop".

  Alistair