[3d Print] Proposal for Mesh Handling Workshop

瀏覽次數:43 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Cay Green

未讀,
2016年2月2日 中午12:03:592016/2/2
收件者:north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I’ve been playing about with mesh manipulation programs a bit lately and I thought that it could be useful to offer to share what I've learnt in the form of a workshop with folk who might be interested. By ‘mesh’ I mean STL and OBJ files that are used in 3d printing. Sometimes if you want to modify a part before printing it you can't always go back to the original CAD file and often only have access to the ‘baked’ STL. In addition, if you 3d scan some geometry using cameras and use software to create a mesh, the results aren’t always brilliant. I thought it could be useful to spend a couple of hours showing some solutions to common problems. The software I would be demonstrating/using would be mostly (AutoDesk) MeshMixer - it has gotten quite powerful as of version 3 and it is still free (for now…) to download (Mac/PC/Linux). I thought the following activities could be useful:

- Repair a model (intersecting vertices, holes)
- Modify a feature on a mesh model
- Mating Surfaces
- Boolean operations (not always as simple as they sounds…)

Any thoughts for other stuff to look at?

Let me know if you would be interested and I can pick a time to pop up to Newcastle, maybe for a 3D Thursday or a weekend?

Best,

Cay

Jon Davies

未讀,
2016年2月2日 下午1:17:382016/2/2
收件者:north-ea...@googlegroups.com

I would certainly be interested in knowing more about mesh manipulation, and think lots of others would be too.  Saturdays are always a temptation (it could be a themed day?), but i wonder if it would prevent the usual Thursday crowd.

glenb

未讀,
2016年2月2日 下午6:47:482016/2/2
收件者:north-ea...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like a great idea, I'd be very interested

I have a couple of topics of my own regarding unifying nested or intersecting objects within STL files. Basically how to lose the occluded objects (which confuse the hell out of slicers)and simplify the mesh to just the visible outer shell. U have my own process which works for simple objects.

But Will also came up with a nice script (untested by me so far) to separate out the objects in a multi-object STL, load them into openSCAD, unify them into a single object then re-save the outer shell as another STL

Glen

Cay Green

未讀,
2016年2月3日 清晨7:49:042016/2/3
收件者:north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Cheers. Two takers so far. Will need a couple more before I commit to coming up to do it.

@Glen, Sounds interesting - not sure I fully understand the issue - do you just mean multiple STLs nested to maximise build platform space? As you know, slicers need 'manifold' (water tight, normals all facing outwards, mostly non-intersecting verticies (although not always...)) mesh files otherwise they kark.

**Seriously not checking
  my Gmail account much
  these days. Please use
  my caygreen at hushmail com
  address for a quick
  reply - Thanks **

Glen Beestone

未讀,
2016年2月3日 上午8:24:582016/2/3
收件者:north-ea...@googlegroups.com
exactly. i have come across files that have models hat are atualy made of interescting objects

so imagine in a 2D analogy,  wo ovelappiong circles like a ven diagram.

all you want in the finished object is the "Figure Eight" shape that the ouside of the cicles describes
but because the two cirles have not been properly unified you still have this ovelapping eliptical stucture inside that you don't need.

it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to print it if it was a simple model but as you say many slicers balk at it becuase they find sufaces decscribing the outside of a shape, inside of another.
and even if it did slice ok, if you had a model made of many intersting objects then you are printing a lot of uneccesary internal sturcture that you needn't

if you have the source file you can get rid of this no problem but if you have an STL made of intersecting shells, getting rid of the internal structure present becomes non trivial

Glen

Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 at 12:49 PM
From: "Cay Green" <cayg...@gmail.com>
To: "north-ea...@googlegroups.com" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Makers] [3d Print] Proposal for Mesh Handling Workshop

Cay Green

未讀,
2016年2月4日 清晨5:30:162016/2/4
收件者:north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glen, if you send me an example STL (or point me at one) I'll see what I can clean up in the software I have...

Cay

**Seriously not checking
  my Gmail account much
  these days. Please use
  my caygreen at hushmail com
  address for a quick
  reply - Thanks **

Colin Jones

未讀,
2016年2月6日 上午11:35:202016/2/6
收件者:North East Makers
Yes, very interested in that.

Cay Green

未讀,
2016年2月25日 清晨5:04:462016/2/25
收件者:north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hello, so, I'm still up for doing this, but think I'll time it for next time I'm up in NCL, which will almost certainly not be before Maker Faire. I realise that might not be the best time as people might be getting stuff ready for the Faire - I was thinking the Thursday before the Faire (3d Thursday...?) hopefully a couple of hours then will be ok?

Best,

Cay

**Seriously not checking
  my Gmail account much
  these days. Please use
  my caygreen at hushmail com
  address for a quick
  reply - Thanks **

On 6 February 2016 at 16:35, Colin Jones <maker....@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, very interested in that.
   - Repair a model (intersecting vertices, holes)

Colin Jones

未讀,
2016年2月26日 上午10:39:332016/2/26
收件者:North East Makers
3D Thursday 21st April - looks like a good plan.

Jon Davies

未讀,
2016年2月27日 清晨7:20:252016/2/27
收件者:North East Makers