Home automation

Glen Beestone

Dec 15, 2016, 5:10:49 AM12/15/16
to north-east-makers
Jay,

what was that IR blaster unit you recommended to me last night

Cheers,

Glen

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jay S

Dec 15, 2016, 3:45:56 PM12/15/16
to North East Makers
This was it

http://www.zmote.io/

If you wait until after Monday as I'm getting my hands on one and I will let you know if it's worth the money.

Jay

Glen Beestone

Dec 15, 2016, 3:49:38 PM12/15/16
to north-east-makers
Cheers !

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Dec 23, 2016, 10:42:35 AM12/23/16
to north-east-makers
Did you get one and have you had a chance to play with it yet Jay ?

Jay S

Dec 24, 2016, 2:19:10 PM12/24/16
to North East Makers
I did.
It works very well through their API. The web remote for it is rubbish. Haven't tried it with MQTT as it has to be reprogrammed to do this and it breaks other things.
I have it working with node red and my amazon echo via HA Bridge.

Jay

Glen Beestone

Dec 24, 2016, 2:40:17 PM12/24/16
to north-east-makers
Cool, i'm goung to get one. What do you run HA bridge on ?
Same server that is running node red (pi?)

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Dec 24, 2016, 2:47:49 PM12/24/16
to north-east-makers
Did you buy from their site or their eBay store ?

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Dec 24, 2016, 2:56:41 PM12/24/16
to north-east-makers
If node red needs to be always on and so does the zmote, then I'm thinking of making a base to sit the the zmote on that contains a PiZero and WiFi dongle (assuming it will run on a PiZero). Then I can run them both off the same supply

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jay S

Dec 24, 2016, 3:49:58 PM12/24/16
to North East Makers
I swapped mine with someone for some other bits.
But if you buy it from the tindie store you can use the code INSTRUCTABLES you get 15% off. Might work out cheaper.
I'm running HA bridge on the same pi as the one used for node red. My zmote is ran off a spare port of my other raspberry pi running kodi.
I don't know if a pizero would be powerful enough for node red as theres quite a bit going on.
You may be better off with something by friendlyarm with a bit more umpfh.
When ready, use Peter Scargills script from here to get it all going.

Jay

Glen Beestone

Dec 24, 2016, 3:54:09 PM12/24/16
to north-east-makers
Thanks jay,

I'l give it ago

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Dec 24, 2016, 4:05:47 PM12/24/16
to north-east-makers
Ordered
thanks for the discount code I got it for £28.56 !

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

David Pye

Dec 24, 2016, 5:48:58 PM12/24/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
A 'standard Pi 1' is more than enough for nodeRed - I can't remember what Zero doesn't do in comparison.

Personally I like the Pi3 with built in WiFi, but if you already had a zero, reckon it'll do fine :-)

Glen Beestone

Dec 24, 2016, 5:54:13 PM12/24/16
to north-east-makers
Afaik Pi Zero is about the same CPU power of an original model B but with more memory and less current consumption

I have both to hand but I reckon a zero will fit into a stand I make for the Zmote easier

Does the model 3 have WiFi built it ?
I have one and did not know that.

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

David Pye

Dec 24, 2016, 6:13:12 PM12/24/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Glen Beestone

Dec 24, 2016, 6:16:09 PM12/24/16
to north-east-makers
Lol I recall now when I fired it up with a WiFi USB in That I couldn't figure why it was showing two WLAN devices

:-/

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jon Davies

Dec 27, 2016, 6:24:31 AM12/27/16
to north-east-makers

Lmao %)