Re: [Makers] any advice for a woodwork/electrical project ?

Glen Beestone

Mar 31, 2015, 6:19:25 PM3/31/15
to north-east-makers

What's the idea behind the 5 channels system

Do you literally want 5 separate audio recordingsto play on at once ?

If so it's doable with a 5.1 USB device run from and old PC/laptop  or a raspberry  pi.

You'd have to create the 5 channel recording using multichannel audio software such as audacity.

But there may be an easier way to do it. How good does the recording need to be. You can get small modules off eBay for a few quid that will record and playback a short recording. Maybe you just need something that with trigger a bunch of them ?

On 31 Mar 2015 23:01, shelly...@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

Hi All,

Would anyone be able to help me out/give some advice about a woodwork and electronics  project?

I’m in the middle of making a sound installation right now which has an electoral theme. I could do it at the uni as a static installation, but I thought it would be better as more of a guerilla art piece.

... but for that to happen I need to build a structure which looks like a voting booth (something like this: http://www.stratapanels.co.uk/images/polling_booth.jpg ) and has a 5 channel speaker system in it. Would need to be portable and run off battery power.

Re: the sound, my first thought was to install some sort of car stereo system, but this is looking expensive, so maybe someone has an idea of a better/cheaper/more practical solution? Also thought about getting a bluetooth 5.1 system, but have some doubts about sound quality in the cheaper range...

Re: woodwork, I have basically zero skills so if anyone is willing to talk me through design and manufacturing process on that side I’d be eternally grateful!

thanks,

Shelly

shelly...@hotmail.co.uk

Apr 1, 2015, 11:30:18 AM4/1/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glen,

It's a live generative piece that's 5 channels. I already have a sound card with 8-out, and will run sound from laptop or rasp-pi so that bit's no problem.

It's more putting together a 5 channel speaker system which is cheapish and portable and that i can insert into a wooden structure??

S.

Alistair MacDonald

Apr 1, 2015, 11:32:58 AM4/1/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
What is the time-scale on this? You can get some low cost power amp
modules from China but they will take a long time to arrive.

Alistair

shelly...@hotmail.co.uk

Apr 1, 2015, 11:36:53 AM4/1/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Needs to be up and running by the end of the month.

Alistair MacDonald

Apr 1, 2015, 11:50:28 AM4/1/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I have used one of these...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-5V-2-Channels-3W-Digital-Power-D-Audio-Amplifier-Board-Amplifier-New-Module/271650730298
.. that are not amazing but decent enough for the price if you don't
need it that loud. The delivery time is a bit of a lottery though.

Alistair

John Osborne

Apr 2, 2015, 6:18:52 AM4/2/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I've got an old PC 5.1 subwoofer/amp (the type with 6 separate analogue inputs) going spare, it's currently mains powered but shouldn't take too much hacking to run it off batteries.

Jon Davies

Apr 3, 2015, 1:09:52 PM4/3/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
RE: 5-Channel Amp
Another option would perhaps be to source your amp as three separate cheap units, say off Freecycle/Freegle or similar site.  Three stereo amps == six total channels.  (Or is this option a bad idea for some esoteric reason???  If so, please elaborate...)