Maker/techy club for kids

Jo Peattie

Nov 27, 2015, 9:25:52 AM11/27/15
to North East Makers
My son is 10 and would love to get involved with techy stuff with a group of like minded kids (sorry for complete lack of jargon). The only problem is we live near Durham and I cannot find anything. If it means starting something myself that is fine but I would probably need help. I have checked Durham Uni's outreach pages but nothing fits.Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Brian Degger

Nov 27, 2015, 9:34:21 AM11/27/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

I would look at empty shops (link to follow)

Also dli museum in Durham

We are not in a place to offer such stuff as makerspace at our premises at newbridge.  Main reason is insurance e and safeguarding.

However we often attend thinks like eday and code clubs. One member is a teacher that runs an after school science group. We also know the think physics research group at Northumbria and a number of us are STEM ambassadors.

We heart Centre For Life too..

Cheers

On 27 Nov 2015 14:25, "Jo Peattie" <jope...@googlemail.com> wrote:
My son is 10 and would love to get involved with techy stuff with a group of like minded kids (sorry for complete lack of jargon). The only problem is we live near Durham and I cannot find anything. If it means starting something myself that is fine but I would probably need help. I have checked Durham Uni's outreach pages but nothing fits.Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Brian Degger

Nov 27, 2015, 9:40:21 AM11/27/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

http://www.durham.gov.uk/article/3653/Activities-for-young-people
Looks like a good place to start.

Think empty shop was a red herring.
(Search empty shop durham) lots of talks and gigs aimed at adults.

Cheers

Alistair MacDonald

Nov 27, 2015, 10:06:43 AM11/27/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I think that was a project about 4 years ago Brian.

I don't know of anything in or around Durham. It might be worth looking around Durham Johnston Comprehensive as they were the first to hold a Raspberry Jam event in the North East, although again that was a few years ago.

As for starting something speaking to Code Club might be an idea ( https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/northeastenglandcodeclub ).

  Alistair

Brian Degger

Nov 27, 2015, 10:08:45 AM11/27/15