homeplug / powerline devices

Glen Beestone

Jun 21, 2017, 8:50:47 AM6/21/17
to North East Makers
anyone got any experince of using powerline homeplug devices across different phases of a building's supply ?

I know that best results are obatained using two devices on the same curcuit.
you can even use them across different mans circuits in the home albeit at reduced bandwith.

But does anyone know if thery will operate at all in a large building where floors may be on different phases ?

Glen.

Jon Davies

Jun 21, 2017, 8:58:58 AM6/21/17
to North East Makers

IMO this is not going to work.  The other phases are linked back at the nearest substation on the transformer, so the signal is going a long way to get from A to B.

Cheers,
Jon.

Glen Beestone

Jun 21, 2017, 9:01:38 AM6/21/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
this would be my guess too.

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 1:58 PM
From: "Jon Davies" <jon.d...@gmail.com>
To: "North East Makers" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Makers] homeplug / powerline devices

Alistair MacDonald

Jun 21, 2017, 9:04:20 AM6/21/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
In short it can not be done across phase as they are disconnected and only sharing a common ground. Even if it is on the same phase it will not work very over a large distance.

They work by transmitting the data on to the power line. This is done in phase with the AC power wave to avoided interference, but other than that it is not unlike a DSL system.

In a larger building I would say they are next to useless unfortunately.

I am second guessing what this is for but would a cable out the window be the way forward?

  Alistair

Glen Beestone

Jun 21, 2017, 9:25:31 AM6/21/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

out the window or down a duct.
just brainstorming ideas/options

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM
From: "Alistair MacDonald" <alistair....@gmail.com>
To: north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Shaun Burrows

Jun 21, 2017, 10:41:21 AM6/21/17
to North East Makers
We have no idea how the building is wired up. Is it worth a try? We might get lucky!

Failing that I wonder what speed we will get through a huge pair of directional antennas? Not actually that stupid an idea, standard WiFi can penetrate a few walls without much directionality. However if the building was built when contractors were paid by the amount of rebar used, we may get limited mileage.

Glen Beestone

Jun 21, 2017, 10:52:25 AM6/21/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
hi Shaun,

we aren't talking about the buidling we are currently in, it's a different place. And i'm trying to put  a network link between floors precisely to put wifi point on the end of it  in becuase wifi  will not penetrate the floors

i'm going to try a pair of powerline adapters but i don't have great hopes for it working

Cheers,

Glen

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 3:41 PM
From: "Shaun Burrows" <shaunb...@gmail.com>
To: "North East Makers" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>

Shaun Burrows

Jun 21, 2017, 12:00:10 PM6/21/17
to North East Makers
A directional antenna may help with that. (If you've not already thought of that.) I've managed to increase wifi range/signal strength with just tin foil, didn't even need a parabolic dish.

Someone managed 10km with a directional antenna at only one end.

Alternatively a lower frequency will achieve better penetration. However this will likely need additional equipment outlay.

David Pye

Jun 21, 2017, 12:04:53 PM6/21/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Can ye not run cat 5 out of one window, and in the one on the floor below?

David

Glen Beestone

Jun 21, 2017, 12:06:31 PM6/21/17
to North East Makers
It may come to that.

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Alistair MacDonald

Jun 21, 2017, 12:56:26 PM6/21/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I just don't think this will be geeky enough. :-)

abaxas

Jun 23, 2017, 4:17:58 PM6/23/17
to North East Makers
This......

Unless of course the floor is full of metal.