SHA2017

Jon Davies

Apr 10, 2017, 3:36:40 AM4/10/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Anyone thinking of going?
--
Cheers,
Jon.

Alistair MacDonald

Apr 10, 2017, 4:13:55 AM4/10/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I may be away for part of it, but if not I am slightly tempted.

  Alistair

BinaryGenius

Apr 10, 2017, 6:23:05 AM4/10/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
it looks like a nice con i`m hoping to start going to many cons starting next year but i might make it to this one also if anyone has not seen it they seam to have a massive catalog of many videos and  info from different events here http://wipkip.nikhef.nl/events/ incuding defcon, schmoo, hope and many more.

abaxas

Apr 10, 2017, 7:53:23 AM4/10/17
to North East Makers
They say you can come by boat..anyone got a suitable yacht ?

Glen Beestone

Apr 10, 2017, 9:04:48 AM4/10/17
to North East Makers
I'm going to come by yah
(Ohhhh, lordy come by yah...)

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jon Davies

Apr 10, 2017, 4:00:20 PM4/10/17
to North East Makers
*whistles*
COME BY!!

So...

Alistair and BinaryGenius.  I'll sit and wait with trepidation for further interest.
--
Cheers,
Jon.

Jon Davies

Jun 26, 2017, 6:51:30 AM6/26/17
to North East Makers

...has anyone still an interest? :)

--
Cheers,
Jon.

Glen Beestone

Jun 26, 2017, 7:34:29 AM6/26/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
still pondering this
at EU250 per tickert + trainfaire form AMS would hinge on getting a pretty cheap flight

Sent: Monday, June 26, 2017 at 11:51 AM
From: "Jon Davies" <jon.d...@gmail.com>
To: "North East Makers" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Makers] Re: SHA2017

Glen Beestone

Jun 26, 2017, 9:21:05 AM6/26/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Was looking at one way flights and finding them crazy expensive ( around £130 each way plus baggage) but a return doesn't seem too bad

example return flight price ( inlcuding a hold bag both ways ) £152.51

Your flight

GBP 152.51
  • Newcastle (NCL) Amsterdam (AMS)

    Fri 4 Aug 17

    • Newcastle, Newcastle, United Kingdom (NCL)
    • Amsterdam, Schiphol, Netherlands (AMS)
    KL 0952, Boeing 737-700
    Operated by: KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

    Class: Economy , selected fare: Standard

    Total travel time 1h25

  • Amsterdam (AMS) Newcastle (NCL)

    Tue 8 Aug 17

    • Amsterdam, Schiphol, Netherlands (AMS)
    • Newcastle, Newcastle, United Kingdom (NCL)
    KL 0971, Boeing 737-700
    Operated by: KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

    Class: Economy , selected fare: Standard

    Total travel time 1h15

Glen

Sent: Monday, June 26, 2017 at 12:34 PM
From: "Glen Beestone" <gl...@technologist.com>
To: north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Glen Beestone

Jun 26, 2017, 9:38:28 AM6/26/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

there's also a flight the previous night, Thur 3rd if you want to be sure of a good camping spot and not missing the first talk of the event (12:00 on friday 4th) and you may prefer to come back wed morning to avoid the mass exodus of the campsite on tuedsay niight, if your schdule permits ( i'd have to be away tuesday evening to be back at work wednesday morning)

either option bumps the price up just a few quid

£155

3rd Aug Dep 17:30 arr 19:55
9th Aug Dep 8:35, 9:35 or 12:30

Sent: Monday, June 26, 2017 at 2:21 PM

Jon Davies

Jun 26, 2017, 5:06:36 PM6/26/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Alistair MacDonald

Jun 26, 2017, 5:21:56 PM6/26/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I am probably not going to go, but if the ferry an option? Perhaps not as convenient but it can be cheaper.

  Alistair

Sent: Monday, June 26, 2017 at 11:51 AM
From: "Jon Davies" <jon.d...@gmail.com>
To: "North East Makers" <north-east-makers@googlegroups.com>

On 10/04/2017, 12:53 abaxas <david....@gmail.com> wrote:
They say you can come by boat..anyone got a suitable yacht ?

On Monday, 10 April 2017 08:36:40 UTC+1, Woody wrote:
Anyone thinking of going?
--
Cheers,
Jon.

Cheers,
Jon.
--
Cheers,
Jon.

Cheers,
Jon.

Glen Beestone

Jun 26, 2017, 5:36:24 PM6/26/17
to North East Makers
Be aware your £135 flights you are seeing may not include hold baggage

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

still pondering this
at EU250 per tickert + trainfaire form AMS would hinge on getting a pretty cheap flight

Glen Beestone

Jun 26, 2017, 5:38:03 PM6/26/17
to North East Makers
Ferry may be an option but not for me. Takes too long. False economy. The time I would have to take off work would eat up any cost savings

On 26/06/2017, 22:21 Alistair MacDonald <alistair....@gmail.com> wrote:
I am probably not going to go, but if the ferry an option? Perhaps not as convenient but it can be cheaper.

  Alistair

Jon Davies

Jun 27, 2017, 6:42:06 AM6/27/17
to North East Makers
There is also the train, but I guess that is also a false economy...?

Glen Beestone

Jun 27, 2017, 6:56:49 AM6/27/17
to North East Makers
Been checking ferry prices and it seems very expensive.

You have to get an overnight cabin. Which pushes the price to around £200 each way. I guess you could normally offset a nights accommodation against that but as your camping fee is in With your ticket for SHA2017 and it doesn't matter when you turn up this is no saving at all.

The only advantage I can see is if you were taking a shed load of gear over with you that couldn't easily be transported by plane

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Jun 27, 2017, 7:02:53 AM6/27/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
ive seen another site that says you can do the crossing without a booing a cabi, n from £27 each way,
 but cannot work out how to make this happen on DFDS booking site. anyone any experience of this ?

Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:56 AM
From: "Glen Beestone" <gl...@technologist.com>

To: "North East Makers" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [Makers] Re: SHA2017

Alistair MacDonald

Jun 27, 2017, 7:11:44 AM6/27/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I do not but the DFDS booking does not have a good reputation. A friend worked with them on an event that needed to be canceled as no one bought a ticket. It later turned out that there was no way to buy a ticket as the ticket office knew nothing about it.

Also the prices do get silly around some holidays so if there is a clash it might still be cheaper to fly.

  Alistair

Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:56 AM
From: "Glen Beestone" <gl...@technologist.com>

To: "North East Makers" <north-east-makers@googlegroups.com>

still pondering this
at EU250 per tickert + trainfaire form AMS would hinge on getting a pretty cheap flight

Jon Davies

Jun 27, 2017, 7:11:57 AM6/27/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
And there's Eurostar trains as an option too, unless that is a logistical pain in the rear, or a financial pain in the pocket.

Glen Beestone

Jun 27, 2017, 7:28:17 AM6/27/17
to North East Makers
Again unless you can show it's silly cheap I can't imagine the time and hassle of getting to Newcastle > London > brussels > Amsterdam ( a huge U shaped journey north to south then south to north again) could possibly outwiegh a £150 return flight.

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jon Davies

Jun 27, 2017, 7:31:00 AM6/27/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, was weighing it up last night in Maker Space, then suddenly it was 10:15pm!  Never finished the weighing...

Glen Beestone

Aug 15, 2017, 6:30:38 AM8/15/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 12:30 PM
From: "Jon Davies" <jon.d...@gmail.com>
To: north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: [Makers] Re: SHA2017

Jon Davies

Aug 15, 2017, 6:57:35 AM8/15/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
COOL!  It's the thing I think everyone loves to see/get at these geeky conference camps :D

Glen Beestone

Aug 16, 2017, 4:39:02 AM8/16/17
to North East Makers

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jon Davies

Aug 16, 2017, 5:02:49 AM8/16/17
to North East Makers

Oh so many! :)