New Member Inductions

Iain Yarnall

Jul 5, 2016, 5:33:26 PM7/5/16
to North East Makers
Hi everyone,

A little while back we agreed a procedure for taking on new members and part of that is giving all members inductions as they join Maker Space.  We've had a draft induction for quite a while now but we're not in the practice of giving it to people or making them aware of it.

I'd like to start by giving the induction to a few people as a trial so ideally people who have joined within the last 6 months or so - or anyone else for that matter.

I'll hopefully be in tomorrow night (and maybe Thursday) so if anyone is free for 5 or 10 minutes then please let me know and I'll go through it with you.

If you want to have a read beforehand you can find it here:
(Those on the wiki please feel free to correct any mistakes/omissions)

Afterwards, we'll get a copy of it laminated and kept handy.  Then anyone who is a member can give an induction to any new members that join.

Any questions, give me a shout.

Cheers,

Iain.

Laird of Bandrum

Jul 6, 2016, 6:47:19 AM7/6/16
to North East Makers
Hi Ian.

I will be around wed/thu and think it would be useful to experience the members induction to gain an understanding of it.

Ed Bisdee

Jul 6, 2016, 7:32:00 AM7/6/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Comments and improvements are gratefully recieved!

On 6 July 2016 at 11:47, Laird of Bandrum <traingua...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Ian.

I will be around wed/thu and think it would be useful to experience the members induction to gain an understanding of it.

Iain Yarnall

Jul 20, 2016, 11:52:57 AM7/20/16
to North East Makers
Hi everyone,

I've added quite a bit to the induction today and tried to clarify things.

Please can you have a read through and let me know if you think there's anything else that needs added or if you have any questions?

I'll also be looking for a couple of people to try it on if possible to see how it flows.

Thanks,

Iain.

Brian Degger

Jul 20, 2016, 12:03:27 PM7/20/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
you can try it on me.
(an aside) Is there any introduction text? I think I got confused between the two last week, thinking we needed to use the induction text to introduce people to the space.
I imagine the introduction text is much more brief.

Brian Degger
twitter: @drbrian

Vincent Bonhomme

Sep 8, 2016, 11:16:03 AM9/8/16
to North East Makers
Hi Iain,

Did the laminated procedure and any member can give an induction went through ?

It'd be great to get that induction sorted and knowing I can just pop in and ask a willing member to take care of that would make things much better.

Let me know,

Thanks !

Vincent

Iain Yarnall

Sep 8, 2016, 12:25:08 PM9/8/16
to North East Makers
Hi Vincent.

In theory, anyone could go through the Wiki page with you although I still haven't laminated it yet to make it easier.

At the moment I am taking a lead on the inductions for members who have recently joined so I'd be happy to go through it with you.  I'll be in on Tuesday and Wednesday next week if either of those days are suitable for you and if anyone else volunteers to go through it with you in the meantime then great!

Also, don't let the lack of an induction stop you using the space if you're paying subs.  The intention is that people won't officially be members until they have had the induction but we're not quite up to that stage yet.  Either way, delayed member inductions shouldn't get in the way of making.  It's really just to help you fit in and get to know how the space operates.

Cheers,

Iain.

Vincent Bonhomme

Sep 23, 2016, 1:22:35 PM9/23/16
to North East Makers
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the late response, I wrongly assumed I would get an email notification of a reply but I probably have to modify some settings some where.
I'll come along when time allows :)