ESP32: Big brother of ESP8266

Jon Davies

Sep 6, 2016, 9:25:19 AM9/6/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Origin of the announcement was on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/EspressifSystem/status/662205725125414912
--
Cheers,
Jon.

Alistair MacDonald

Sep 6, 2016, 9:53:31 AM9/6/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Another thing that I am interested in, and I think a lot of us spotted
the old Hackaday article, but I am going to wait until it is ready.
The 8266 does most of what I want so I am not desperate for the 32.
That said if the cost is low it might shake things up a little more,
and I hope for the better.

Alistair

Brian Degger

Sep 6, 2016, 10:04:13 AM9/6/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Wifi and bt and capsense and built in temp. ...woo! (but not on ebay yet).

On 6 September 2016 at 14:25, Jon Davies <jon.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Origin of the announcement was on Twitter:
> https://twitter.com/EspressifSystem/status/662205725125414912
> --
> Cheers,
> Jon.

Jon Davies

Sep 6, 2016, 10:13:45 AM9/6/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

I wouldn't expect hardware that's in beta test to be available on eBay just  yet :)

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016, 15:04 Brian Degger, <brian....@gmail.com> wrote:

Wifi and bt and capsense and built in temp. ...woo! (but not on ebay yet).

On 6 Sep 2016 2:53 p.m., "Alistair MacDonald" <alistair....@gmail.com> wrote:
Another thing that I am interested in, and I think a lot of us spotted
the old Hackaday article, but I am going to wait until it is ready.
The 8266 does most of what I want so I am not desperate for the 32.
That said if the cost is low it might shake things up a little more,
and I hope for the better.

  Alistair

On 6 September 2016 at 14:25, Jon Davies <jon.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Origin of the announcement was on Twitter:
> https://twitter.com/EspressifSystem/status/662205725125414912
> --
> Cheers,
> Jon.
>
> --
Cheers,
Jon.

Dan Nixon

Sep 6, 2016, 10:22:32 AM9/6/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
The additional IO is a refreshing sight though.
I'll consider it for the next Dilbert badge depending on availability (I'd half expect it to be everywhere in a years time anyway).

Dan

TonyD

Sep 7, 2016, 4:17:24 AM9/7/16
to North East Makers
It looks to have a decent spec.

Dual 32-bit core @ 160Mhz
520KB RAM
448KB ROM
WIFI
BT
GPIO
etc.

Seeed are selling a module for $6.95

Tony

https://www.seeedstudio.com/ESP3212-Wifi-Bluetooth-Combo-Module-p-2706.html

Jon Davies

Sep 16, 2016, 6:50:02 AM9/16/16
to North East Makers

And now a report from Hackady.io:
http://hackaday.com/2016/09/15/esp32

Peter Scargill

Sep 16, 2016, 4:54:17 PM9/16/16
to North East Makers
Hi guys

No, Seeed are NOT selling boards - like everyone else they are simply positioning themselves - they don't actually HAVE product and as far as I know neither does anyone else. I've had one of the prototypes sitting here in a box for months. I don't know how many of you remember when the ESP8266 came out - there was nothing but Chinese documentation for a long time then that horrible AT command set etc... and the cripppled ESP-01s.. Windows users were left out in the cold for ages until the unofficial development environment came around.

Things will be different, there's an ESP32 version of the dev environment but I don't know anyone whos done anything past "hello world" - there's a an Arduino dev environment for it - I know the guy who's writing it - and that is with the best will in the world going to be buggy for a while... and the boards - the first ones are likely to be less than perfect. I'm personally quiet happy to park this one for a few months - also of course this is not an ESP replacement - it is another product that is likely to stay considerably more expensive - you can get an ESP-12 for well under £2 - current ESP-32 projected pricing is much above that (originally when I spoke to the head of Espressif he said it would be "slightly" more expensive - well that's not happening yet.

The 8266 has a lot of life in it yet if you avoid interpreted languages and it is now reasonably well documented - I'm doing my best to fill up the 1 meg in C (max is 1 meg but you can use another meg for OTA and the rest for general storage, fonts etc if you like) but it's hard :-)

Pete