Laser Supervisors?

wi...@mcelderry.com

Mar 13, 2018, 6:09:56 PM3/13/18
to North-east Makers
Hi Laser Supervisors,

I'm hoping one of you would be willing to spare time to give me an
initial induction (done once by Iain a long time ago, but I'm pretending
I've forgotten everything - that way I can keep it secret that I never
understood what I was doing in the first place ;) ).

I'm hoping to get the material on Friday, so anytime next week would be
great! Failing that the following week would be doable, but I've got a
deadline not a million miles away, so that'll be getting a bit close for
comfort from then on.

Thanks,

Will.

Jon Davies

Mar 13, 2018, 8:15:25 PM3/13/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I'm typically available later on a Monday, sometimes I keyhold on a Tuesday, Wednesday is a bit contended (with it being busy with general public), later on a Friday, normally available in the day on a Saturday, and again on a Sunday.

What is you free/busy?

Cheers,
Jon.

wi...@mcelderry.com

Mar 15, 2018, 6:58:32 AM3/15/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jon,

I'm generally very busy at the moment, but it's not fixed times, so I
can also move stuff to fit in with getting the cutting done.

To keep things simple, I will try and get in on Monday night and see
how we get on.

I intend to look at the LaserCut5.3 software a bit first, load in the
job and configure it and remind my self what to do with the equipment
(but obviously won't do it, until supervised). Would that be OK ? (I
don't want to break any rules...)

If I can prep alone, it would mean I can take my time getting familiar
with the system and only takes a few mins of your time while we set the
job going.

Thanks,

W.
> --
>
> Cheers,
> Jon.
>
> --
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] https://groups.google.com/d/optout

Jon Davies

Mar 15, 2018, 5:50:01 PM3/15/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I think you can download a free copy of Lasercut 5.3, but I would avoid bothering editing too much in that.  The UX is terrible.  Do as much as possible in your favourite 2D cad package (LibreCAD, DraftSight etc...) then export as DXF and import to LaserCut for very final tweaks e.g. ensuring cutting settings and ordering is all good to go.

I should be in by the time you've got that far :D

Cheers,
Jon.

Dominic Stenton

Mar 17, 2018, 3:55:21 PM3/17/18
to North East Makers
Hi,

I'm also looking to complete induction on the laser cutter. I'm not currently a member (though just filled out the form). Will it be possible for me to join on Monday and do the induction with you Woody?

I'm in no rush, just trying to make less work for you.

Let me know,
Dominic

Alec Gamble

Mar 18, 2018, 6:55:38 AM3/18/18
to North East Makers
ditto
would like to see laser cutter in action. see you monday? Alec

Glen Beestone

Mar 18, 2018, 7:01:48 AM3/18/18
to north-east-makers
Hi,

Just a note for everyone replying on here

As per our wiki we won't train people on the laser in groups

We've found in the past it just doesn't work. Someone has be in the driving seat being directed to take it all in .
Onlookers don't get the benefit and the laser annex is too small a room to have more than two in anyway

The laser instructor might agree to train you all on the same night, but it won't be at the same time and there may not be enough time to fit you all in

Regards

Glen

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Jon Davies

Mar 18, 2018, 12:39:30 PM3/18/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Yep.

RE: LASER Training
It's a single-person tutorial for focused learning.  If others want to see it in action, it'll have to wait till after I've gone through training with Will.  If you want to get a tutorial, I'll probably only be able to get just the one done on Monday night.  Let me know when you're next available (my typical free/busy is back in the second email of this thread :D), and please confirm you are a member (at least set up the standing order).

RE: New members induction
I can go through new member (Dominic?) induction after training Will tomorrow (Monday).

Dominic Stenton

Mar 20, 2018, 4:42:27 PM3/20/18
to North East Makers
Noted - apologies. Thanks for that Woody, I'm getting off a train at about 6 30 then will make my way over.

Thanks for the help,

Dominic

Dominic Stenton

Mar 20, 2018, 4:42:27 PM3/20/18
to North East Makers
Noted - apologies. Woody, if you can give me (I'm Dominic by the way, pleased to meet you all) the new member induction tonight that would be great.

Thanks again,

Dominic

Alistair MacDonald

Mar 20, 2018, 4:45:05 PM3/20/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Just a note that Dominic's email was delayed because Google held it back after flagging it as potential spam. We have no idea why it does this occasionally but it always sorts it's self out eventually.

  Alisair