£160 Ebay 3D Printer

StevenQ-NE-UK

Jan 27, 2016, 10:55:41 AM1/27/16
to North East Makers
Greetings Makers,

I decided to start a new thread for this.  As you may or may not know I have bought an "Ebay £160 3D Printer".  Well it turned up today and I can tell you that on first inspection nothing is broken, I was most concerned about the glass plate but it's ok, it even has blue tape already applied to it.  Even more amazing is the X carriage, Y carriage including heater bed and the extruder are already assembled.  There's a 500g spool of 1.75mm PLA in there and the build instructions are on the SD card.

The box is split into 3 layers, I'll add pics of each layer below.  Please note, the frame is not black acrylic, its laser cut plywood.

As I would like this build to be a shared experience, I have a couple of questions.

Would anyone like to see this kit, in it's box as it arrived, before I start assembling it?  I'll be bringing it along tonight (27th Jan 2016) anyway
Are we behind the idea of a "live build" spanning a number of 3D Thursdays?
What's the best way of informing people of what we intend to do and when?
and finally
If we are a go, how long should we wait before starting the "live build"?

thanks

Steve

p.s. just for the record, this is the ebay listing.  It took 11 days from order to delivery and I did not have any more to pay, this time.  The seller missed my name off the address label, not really important but you might need to be aware of that.

TonyD

Jan 27, 2016, 11:35:56 AM1/27/16
to North East Makers
Looks good value for the money.

I'm around tonight so I would be interested in seeing it

Tony

Will McElderry

Jan 27, 2016, 12:34:47 PM1/27/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
On 27/01/16 15:55, StevenQ-NE-UK wrote:
> Would anyone like to see this kit, in it's box as it arrived, before I
> start assembling it? I'll be bringing it along tonight (27th Jan
> 2016) anyway
> Are we behind the idea of a "live build" spanning a number of 3D
> Thursdays?
WM: Yes - very much a fan of a build along. Interested to see the
printer in an early stage too (but already removed from box is fine).

> What's the best way of informing people of what we intend to do and when?
WM: We can advertise in various ways (Messages on this list, social
media, perhaps highlight at other 'technophile attracting events' in the
area (Python group, Linux group...?)
> and finally
> If we are a go, how long should we wait before starting the "live build"?
WM: I was thinking you may want to assess the kit to see if it looks
decent before we encourage others to buy the same one(?). I guess
working out how you want the build to go would be first: do you want to
build and let others watch only, or do you mean to show people the kit,
encourage them to buy the exact same thing, give a few weeks for it to
be delivered and then build together? If the latter, how many people
could we get in the space building without issues? Would you want to
organise a bulk buy for people who attend (1st or 2nd event?)?

Will 3D Thursdays 'be enough', or do you need to talk with Make it Sew
organisers to see if they'll agree to every Thursday?

I reckon there's a few discussion points there, so I'll be in tonight to
discuss further - feel free to continue contributing to the discussion
here if you don't make it in tonight.

W.

glenb

Jan 27, 2016, 5:27:01 PM1/27/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I was very very impressed with what was in the kit, the quality of the components and the fact that the X and Y carriages came preassembled.

Glen

Alistair MacDonald

Jan 28, 2016, 3:01:23 AM1/28/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

For me I am not so fussed about seeing the build, but I am interested in knowing how it went and what the problems were (if any).

  Alistair

StevenQ-NE-UK

Jan 28, 2016, 4:51:28 AM1/28/16
to North East Makers
Greetings Makers,

There was a lot of interest in this printer kit at the space last night.  After talking about it, it was decided that we should do a "build and test" of this kit before we decide how to move forward.  So when I got home last night I built it.......

The build took 3 hours and was very easy.  The "Google Translated" manual was easy to follow and covered every step of the build.  Ok, so there are some issues.  I'll list them below and I'll let you decide if they are bad or not.

First issue.
One of the pre-assembled Z axis motors had been built the wrong way around.  The guide hole for the Z axis smooth rod was on the wrong side.  I simply took it apart, flipped the wooden part over then reassembled.  This added around 10 mins to the build.

Second issue.
The pre-assembled Z axis end stop did not line up with the adjustment screw.  I added 4 flat washers between the microswitch and the mounting bracket to fix this.  Again this added around 10 mins to the build.  The extra washers are part of the kit as there are more fixings supplied than needed.

Third issue
The supplied screwdriver set didn't last long enough to finish the build. A shame, but expected.

Forth issue.
When I power up the printer the display shows the ambient temperature as 30 deg C from both the hot end and the bed sensors.  I powered on both of my other printers for comparison and they both showed 12 - 13 deg C.  I have contacted the ebay seller and asked for a link to the "i3 PRO B" specific firmware, as that's what is displayed on the LCD.  Who knows if they'll get back to me.

That's it.  I got the stepper motors and the end stops tested.  The "home all" function from the printer controls worked no problem.  I just need a few cable ties to tidy the wiring.  I did try the preheat function from the printer menu too.  The hot end and bed did heat up but this sensor issue prevented the printer from reaching a usable state.  I know I could easily flash stock Marlin onto the printer but I wanted to do the whole "buyer experience" thing.

I'll keep this topic updated as and when things happen.  Working or not, I'll bring the printer along to the space next week so anyone interested can see it built.

I'd like to leave it with the other 3D printers for a week or two if that's ok with everyone, if not please object now.

thanks

Steve

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 15:55:41 UTC, StevenQ-NE-UK wrote:
Greetings Makers,

I decided to start a new thread for this.  As you may or may not know I have bought an "Ebay £160 3D Printer".  Well it turned up today and I can tell you that on first inspection nothing is broken, I was most concerned about the glass plate but it's ok, it even has blue tape already applied to it.  Even more amazing is the X carriage, Y carriage including heater bed and the extruder are already assembled.  There's a 500g spool of 1.75mm PLA in there and the build instructions are on the SD card.

The box is split into 3 layers, I'll add pics of each layer below.  Please note, the frame is not black acrylic, its laser cut plywood.

StevenQ-NE-UK

Jan 28, 2016, 4:07:01 PM1/28/16
to North East Makers
Well, as you can imagine, I didn't hear from the ebay seller today.  So, I flashed a GEEETECH I3 PRO B version of Marlin onto the printer.

This printer must have some bizarre thermistors fitted.  I set both to 1 in Marlins config.h and they read 40 deg C when ambient is 12 deg C, just like the stock firmware.
I worked my way through the tables in Marlin and found 8 works well at room temp.  Only problem is, when the hot end gets to 220 deg C ish the display starts showing 400 deg C plus and it MAXTEMP's
I finally settled on setting the hot end to 1 and the heat bed to 8 and I have managed to print some PLA test cubes.
The heat bed seams to read the correct temp now but the hot end has to run at an indicated 260 deg C to print PLA.

I still think this printer is good value, even if you have to change the thermistors and / or re-flash it.  I don't think I'd recommend it as a first printer build but as an experimental printer or a kit of parts for a custom printer then I can't fault it.

I'll order some known good thermistors and see what that does to it.

thanks

Steve

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 15:55:41 UTC, StevenQ-NE-UK wrote:
Greetings Makers,

I decided to start a new thread for this.  As you may or may not know I have bought an "Ebay £160 3D Printer".  Well it turned up today and I can tell you that on first inspection nothing is broken, I was most concerned about the glass plate but it's ok, it even has blue tape already applied to it.  Even more amazing is the X carriage, Y carriage including heater bed and the extruder are already assembled.  There's a 500g spool of 1.75mm PLA in there and the build instructions are on the SD card.

The box is split into 3 layers, I'll add pics of each layer below.  Please note, the frame is not black acrylic, its laser cut plywood.

StevenQ-NE-UK

Jan 29, 2016, 4:34:05 AM1/29/16
to North East Makers
Official word from the ebay seller arrived today.  There is no firmware available for this printer kit.  Oh well.

For the record I'll list below the address and the name of the geeetech firmware I used to get the printer working.

Marlin-PI3_Pro_B.zip

I've ordered some new thermistors and a layer cooling fan for less than £10 in total.  I hope to get them all fitted soon.

In the mean time here's a pic of the rather melted PLA prints I've managed to get so far with the bad temp settings.  (The purple is a thermal colour change material)

thanks

Steve

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 15:55:41 UTC, StevenQ-NE-UK wrote:
Greetings Makers,

I decided to start a new thread for this.  As you may or may not know I have bought an "Ebay £160 3D Printer".  Well it turned up today and I can tell you that on first inspection nothing is broken, I was most concerned about the glass plate but it's ok, it even has blue tape already applied to it.  Even more amazing is the X carriage, Y carriage including heater bed and the extruder are already assembled.  There's a 500g spool of 1.75mm PLA in there and the build instructions are on the SD card.

The box is split into 3 layers, I'll add pics of each layer below.  Please note, the frame is not black acrylic, its laser cut plywood.

David Pye

Jan 29, 2016, 4:39:27 AM1/29/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Might be worth just putting standard marlin on it.  I suspect the thermistors are OK but simply arent the ones the firmware is compiled to expect.

All you really need to know to do it is the board type and steps per mm for each axis.

David

David Pye

Jan 29, 2016, 4:40:31 AM1/29/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Sorry Steve, didn't see your email before this one!

David

Alistair MacDonald

Jan 29, 2016, 4:44:01 AM1/29/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I don't think these prints are all that bad considering. They look a lot like what we get from the Thing-o-matic when we run it faster than it would like to go.

  Alistair

Jon Davies

Jan 29, 2016, 6:26:22 AM1/29/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Looking good at any rate for a cheapy printer!  I would not recommend it to a total noob considering the experience you've had so far.  Fine for someone with a bit of knowledge & experience, or someone with patience and the nous to look up/research the problem.

David Pye

Jan 29, 2016, 7:02:57 AM1/29/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

It's a fair point but all the ones I built from scratch gave me far more grief than that seems to have!

David

StevenQ-NE-UK

Jan 29, 2016, 8:06:58 AM1/29/16
to North East Makers
If I got these bizarre temperature readings with my very first printer, I would of had no clue where to start to try and fix it.  However, if I knew how to compile a Marlin thermistor table I would of thought this printer kit had no problems at all.

I do feel that replacing a thermistor, re-flashing firmware and sending g-code manually is something that anyone who wants a 3D printer should understand and be able to do.  So, I'd say this kit plus the mods would make a great 2nd printer for anyone who already has a printer and wants to experiment with exotic materials, faster speeds or larger nozzles without risking their primary printer.

It would be a great printer to have around the space so people can see that the £160 ebay printer is actually ok (well £167 if you factor in the new thermistors, stepper driver heat sinks (just because they were 99p) and a layer fan).  It would also be a great teaching aid for showing how to re-flash the firmware, make steps per mm changes, calibrate the extruder etc while leaving the other printers free to print stuff.

What I'd like to do, once the temperature issue is sorted out, is have this printer at the space so everyone who is interested can try it out.  There's a 500g spool of black PLA with the kit so we could evaluate it using that.

The only thing is space.  I am very aware that 3D printer corner is not the tidiest area so I have concerns that adding another printer would encourage the mess to spread.  I'd be happy to transport the printer to and from the space with me but the ply wood frame doesn't feel like it will take that kind of abuse.  We could also better define 3D printer corner boundaries and use the space more efficiently, maybe, but that's for another thread.

Please let me know what you think.

thanks

Steve

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 15:55:41 UTC, StevenQ-NE-UK wrote:
Greetings Makers,

I decided to start a new thread for this.  As you may or may not know I have bought an "Ebay £160 3D Printer".  Well it turned up today and I can tell you that on first inspection nothing is broken, I was most concerned about the glass plate but it's ok, it even has blue tape already applied to it.  Even more amazing is the X carriage, Y carriage including heater bed and the extruder are already assembled.  There's a 500g spool of 1.75mm PLA in there and the build instructions are on the SD card.

The box is split into 3 layers, I'll add pics of each layer below.  Please note, the frame is not black acrylic, its laser cut plywood.

Jon Davies

Jan 29, 2016, 8:22:43 AM1/29/16
to North East Makers

Well said on most parts there Steve.  I do think the printer should live at the space though, and I really don't know how to solve the issue with space in 3D Printer corner.  I have ideas, but they might be stupid and unworkable.

Glen Beestone

Jan 29, 2016, 9:46:59 AM1/29/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
how about a new set of shelves unde the existing shelves ( wall of boxes ) to sit the various printers on.

and a space beside them to store  the laptops on.
when you want to use a printer you grab a laptop and plonk yourself in front of your chosen printers ( on the exisiting desks) when printers are not in use they are not taking up desk space and the desks are still usable

Printers that are currelty too "tall" for this can have thier spool holders removed and spools can be fixed  to the wall of boxes uprrights in some way

Glen

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2016 at 1:22 PM
From: "Jon Davies" <jon.d...@gmail.com>
To: "North East Makers" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Makers] Re: £160 Ebay 3D Printer

Jon Davies

Jan 30, 2016, 6:35:43 AM1/30/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

The existing shelves are low enough that a new set would just be in the way for us tall people.  I for one would be bashing my head :)

The existing shelving could be modified I guess?

StevenQ-NE-UK

Jan 30, 2016, 7:21:52 PM1/30/16
to North East Makers
Just a quick update,

The replacement thermistors arrived today (Saturday)  so I fitted them and re-flashed the printer using table 1 for both hot end and heat bed thermistors.  The printer is now showing the correct temperatures and is printing really well.  The PLA prints will be a lot better once I fit the layer cooling fan (once it turns up).

I'll run some ABS prints tomorrow and add more photos.  I am  very impressed with this printer now.  I don't think its a good kit for a noob but I'll let you all decide for yourselves if £160 plus £2 for thermistors is worth it (and the fitting of course)

thanks

Steve

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 15:55:41 UTC, StevenQ-NE-UK wrote:
Greetings Makers,

I decided to start a new thread for this.  As you may or may not know I have bought an "Ebay £160 3D Printer".  Well it turned up today and I can tell you that on first inspection nothing is broken, I was most concerned about the glass plate but it's ok, it even has blue tape already applied to it.  Even more amazing is the X carriage, Y carriage including heater bed and the extruder are already assembled.  There's a 500g spool of 1.75mm PLA in there and the build instructions are on the SD card.

The box is split into 3 layers, I'll add pics of each layer below.  Please note, the frame is not black acrylic, its laser cut plywood.

StevenQ-NE-UK

Jan 31, 2016, 3:28:15 PM1/31/16
to North East Makers
This will be the final update before the infamous £160 ebay 3D printer goes to the Space.

Today I calibrated the extruder steps per mm and ran the PID autotune on the hot end and the heat bed.

The following pics are of prints I did today.

The grey part is ABS and the black is PLA
Apart from the "Z banding" I can't see much wrong with these prints.

Here's a quick recap of the whole build to print process

Build the kit 3 hours
Fitting new thermistors 1 hour
Flashed the Geeetech Pi3 Pro B firmware to the printer 10 mins
Calibrated extruder steps per mm and re-flash 30 mins
PID autotune hot end and heat bed and re-flash 1 hour

I'll put the Slic3r profile on the SD card in the printer so they can be imported onto the Space laptops as and when.

thanks

Steve

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 15:55:41 UTC, StevenQ-NE-UK wrote:
Greetings Makers,

I decided to start a new thread for this.  As you may or may not know I have bought an "Ebay £160 3D Printer".  Well it turned up today and I can tell you that on first inspection nothing is broken, I was most concerned about the glass plate but it's ok, it even has blue tape already applied to it.  Even more amazing is the X carriage, Y carriage including heater bed and the extruder are already assembled.  There's a 500g spool of 1.75mm PLA in there and the build instructions are on the SD card.

The box is split into 3 layers, I'll add pics of each layer below.  Please note, the frame is not black acrylic, its laser cut plywood.

glenb

Jan 31, 2016, 4:22:19 PM1/31/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Are you still planning to strip this and rebuild it as part of 3D Thurs ?

Feb 3, 2016, 3:54:42 AM2/3/16
to North East Makers
Greetings Makers,

this printer is now at the Space.  It is suffering from the X axis belt jamming now that it is setup in 3D Print Corner (I gave it area a quick tidy up too).  I'll get the printer running on Thursday, so until then please DO NOT USE it.

Shame it doesn't like to travel.  Well I guess there had to something it couldn't do ha ha

I'll be bringing some Ninja Flex filament to run through it on Thursday too.

thanks

Steve

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 15:55:41 UTC, StevenQ-NE-UK wrote:
Greetings Makers,

I decided to start a new thread for this.  As you may or may not know I have bought an "Ebay £160 3D Printer".  Well it turned up today and I can tell you that on first inspection nothing is broken, I was most concerned about the glass plate but it's ok, it even has blue tape already applied to it.  Even more amazing is the X carriage, Y carriage including heater bed and the extruder are already assembled.  There's a 500g spool of 1.75mm PLA in there and the build instructions are on the SD card.

The box is split into 3 layers, I'll add pics of each layer below.  Please note, the frame is not black acrylic, its laser cut plywood.

StevenQ-NE-UK

Mar 2, 2016, 3:52:28 AM3/2/16
to North East Makers
Greetings Makers,

It's been about a month since I last updates this so I thought I'd add some thoughts about the first few hours of printing with this printer.

As some of know I've been messing with this pretty much every time I visited the space.  The biggest issues I've faced with this are the X / Y axis' belts jamming, the extruder "clicking" and some really bad Z banding in the prints.

Well, last night was when the breakthrough came.  It turns out that after all the mods I've tried, the X / Y and extruder issues were all down to the stepper sticks limiting current to the stepper motors.
As the stepper motors are not displaying any manufacturer information that can be Googled, I just tweaked the pot on the stepper stick and tried to print again and checking the temperature of the stepper motor as it printed.  This will probably be an ongoing fix but at least I know what the cause is now.

As for the Z banding.  Adjustments were made to the Z axis stepper motor flexible connectors so now the threaded rods look a lot better when they rotate.  The X and Y axis belt idlers move up and down when the axis changes direction but they are only M3 screws so a mechanical mod could be the key here.  Anyway, I've simply tightened the belts up for now.

I still plan to fit a layer cooling fan to this printer and run some XT and Ninjaflex again eventually.

that's all for now.

thanks

Steve

StevenQ-NE-UK

Apr 20, 2016, 4:40:06 AM4/20/16
to North East Makers
Greetings Makers,

I thought it was about time I put another update on this just to let you all know whats happening.

As you may or may not know I had huge problems leveling the print bed, keeping it level and keeping the bed heater in full contact with the glass.
Well, I decided to start replacing the wooden components of this printer with metal ones.

I replaced the Y axis platform with an aluminium plate.
The wooden Y axis end supports, motor mount and belt tensioner etc were also replaced with printed parts and M8 studding from my BQ Prusa i3 design.
I also added a couple of printed idler guides for the x and y belt to prevent belt jams.

The photos below show the modifications.

It's amazing the difference this has made.  I'll run a few hours of test prints and see how much adjustment the bed level needs at the end.

I have very little confidence in the wooden frame so I plan to replace all the remaining wooden parts with 6mm or 10mm acrylic and printed parts from the BQ Prusa i3 design.

All these y axis and bed mods have cost less than £20 and with a little luck I'll get some acrylic cheap and keep the total cost of the printer kit and all the mods under £200.

thanks

Steve

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 15:55:41 UTC, StevenQ-NE-UK wrote:
Greetings Makers,

I decided to start a new thread for this.  As you may or may not know I have bought an "Ebay £160 3D Printer".  Well it turned up today and I can tell you that on first inspection nothing is broken, I was most concerned about the glass plate but it's ok, it even has blue tape already applied to it.  Even more amazing is the X carriage, Y carriage including heater bed and the extruder are already assembled.  There's a 500g spool of 1.75mm PLA in there and the build instructions are on the SD card.

The box is split into 3 layers, I'll add pics of each layer below.  Please nothe frame is not black acrylic, its laser cut plywoo