Patch cables and stranded CAT5 suppliers

Alistair MacDonald

Mar 16, 2018, 1:31:10 PM3/16/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone recommend a supplier of CAT5? Ideally one I with a shop or next day delivery.

I need to wire up a few LoRa stations with temporary cables to plug in to domestic routers. My plan is to either chop pre-made patch cables or end off a stretch of CAT5.

I have some solid core CAT5 but Glen would never speak to me again. ;-)

  Alistair

Glen Beestone

Mar 16, 2018, 2:03:07 PM3/16/18
to north-east-makers
Aagh if I'd seen this earlier I could have brought in tons of stranded CAT5 I saved from the bin at work

Unfortunately it's still there

What do you need ? I may have some long cables knocking around at home I can drop at the space tomorrow. Or take what's at the space and I'll replace as needed

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Mar 16, 2018, 2:06:30 PM3/16/18
to north-east-makers
Or if you can wait until Monday I'll get you all you want

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Alistair MacDonald

Mar 16, 2018, 2:38:33 PM3/16/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the offer Glen. If you could drop some off at the space on Monday evening that would be prefect.

All the best,

  Alistair

Glen Beestone

Mar 16, 2018, 2:50:54 PM3/16/18
to north-east-makers
Will do. How many metres do you want

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Alistair MacDonald

Mar 16, 2018, 3:50:23 PM3/16/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Small confession, I have no idea. I have asked for lengths, but they need to ask others who need to ask other, etc, etc. I suspect it will be up the stairs and across a room for two or three locations. How heavy is the box? Would it be less wasteful if I borrowed it and returned the remainder?

All the best,

  Alistair

Glen Beestone

Mar 16, 2018, 3:59:14 PM3/16/18
to north-east-makers
Pretty heavy.
I don't want to lug it from work in one go.

But if you want me to pull 10, 25 or 50 metres off it, that I can stick in my backpack. I'll gladly do so

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Glen Beestone

Mar 16, 2018, 4:01:48 PM3/16/18
to north-east-makers
If you are talking about runs of tens of metres though, then the proper way to do it would be with solid core structured cabling and a socket punch and a socket punched down on each end, that you can then connect with smaller patch cables

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Alistair MacDonald

Mar 16, 2018, 4:30:10 PM3/16/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
It is for temporary installs in people homes, and not people like us. I don't think it will be 10s of meters, but I suspect it will be 10 and a bit meters. In all honesty I am just guessing.

Hopefully I will know more and can mail you by early Monday. Also if it becomes a real hassle say so. This is not your battle as they say. I have a backup plan involving an Amazon order.

  Alistair

Glen Beestone

Mar 16, 2018, 4:32:19 PM3/16/18
to north-east-makers
Is that one lot of 10 and a bit metres or multiple lots

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Alistair MacDonald

Mar 16, 2018, 4:40:27 PM3/16/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I was just going to get a 15m cable from the device to the injector, and a 5m from that to the router. Again, this is all guess work.

  Alistair

Glen Beestone

Mar 16, 2018, 4:42:02 PM3/16/18
to north-east-makers
Ok so if I drop 25 metres of cable in for you that should cover it.

You have crimps ?

Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Alistair MacDonald

Mar 16, 2018, 4:46:04 PM3/16/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Cool. Thanks.

Yes I have the connectors and a crimping tool. I hate using it with a passion but I have it. :-)

  Alistair