Interfacing with MIPI DSI touch panel

ja...@fenrisind.com

May 15, 2018, 3:38:05 PM5/15/18
to North East Makers
For a project I am working on, I need to be able to control a variety of components such as switches on other boards which will likely be done by an Arduino. I would like to able to do this on a OLED touch panel with some simple graphics.

My current plan has been to use a MIPI DSI to HDMI Arduino Shield, however I am unsure whether that will be able to convey the touch input and was wondering if anyone knew a better way to do this.

OLED touch panel - https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/AUO-5-inch-720p-touch-screen_60458917668.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normalList.25.148f2a0cciunrL

MIPI DSI shield interfaced with Raspberry Pi - https://hackaday.com/2014/08/19/a-mipi-dsi-display-shieldhdmi-adapter/

If it isn't possible on a Pi, I may try flashing Ubuntu on an old android if I can find one with the appropriate connector, however I'm not sure that would even work and whether I'd be able to slave an Arduino to it.

Any suggestions welcome

David Pye

May 15, 2018, 4:00:33 PM5/15/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jacob,

Not sure what your combined cost estimate for the shield was - it mentions a sub $50 BOM (and plus extra for the screen).

There is this (it's a 7" screen), but is 'official' and supported.

Not sure if you've seen it and discounted it for a reason?

David

David Pye

May 15, 2018, 4:02:11 PM5/15/18
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Oops, there's also this:

David

ja...@fenrisind.com

May 17, 2018, 4:04:58 AM5/17/18
to North East Makers
Thanks for the suggestion.

I had seen the panel, but unfortunately it's a TFT panel and it is important to the project that the panel is an OLED one.

I am increasingly beginning to think that simply using an old android device with a OTG connection to an arduino may be my easiest option, however I have never tried to do this before.