Notice to laser users (again)

Dan Nixon

Jun 23, 2017, 11:10:45 AM6/23/17
to North East Makers
To all laser users.

The required access route to the laser cutter has changed.
You are no longer permitted to access the laser cutter via the stairwell from the first floor.
In addition the door to the stairwell from that laser cutter room should not be opened.

Access now is via the roller shutter in the basement car park (most people know which shutter this is and how to get to it).
The keys for this shutter are on the hook with the keys for the laser cutter, there are two keys as the switches on both sides have different locks.
The shutter should only be opened when entering and leaving the room, i.e. you are required to fully close the shutter when inside the room operating the laser cutter.

Dan

Jon Davies

Jun 26, 2017, 6:48:38 AM6/26/17
to North East Makers

I (and probably others) would like to know why, and if the stairwell is still an option of escape in an emergency.

Cheers,
Jon.

Dan Nixon

Jun 26, 2017, 7:33:48 AM6/26/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it can still be used in an emergency.
In this case an emergency is either a fire in the laser cutter room, fire alarm or power failure.

As to why, we were never supposed to be using the stairwell.
It was never agreed with Ampersand (particularly JP) that we would be using it.

The big reason is the risk of alerting people due to the smell travelling through the stairwell or triggering the fire detectors in the stairwell.

Dan

Jon Davies

Jun 27, 2017, 5:40:33 PM6/27/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com