Workshop Monitoring

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 5, 2017, 6:06:55 AM10/5/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
While we were putting in the door monitor alarm thing I added a temperature and humidity sensor because I could. If you want to access the data you can at https://personal.xively.com/feeds/1843212939 .

I know the temperature seems a little high but I checked with another thermometer and it is accurate for where the sensor is over the door. Some parts of the workshop are a few degrees hotter than others and the desks are up to 3 degree colder than the roof. Greg had a setup in the old space for a while so I wonder how they will compare. I am expecting the current workshop to be quite a bit warmer. :-)

If you would like to do something with the data then cool. If you would like it pushed to you directly then this can be arranged. We can also relay out the open / closed state if that is useful to you.

  Alistair

Brian Degger

Oct 5, 2017, 6:48:25 AM10/5/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
That humidity looks disturbingly low....

Says it more like 70 or 80%

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 5, 2017, 8:13:25 AM10/5/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I doubt it is all that accurate, but the average humidity in a house if between 30% and 50% apparently.

  Alistair

abaxas

Brian Degger

Oct 5, 2017, 4:41:04 PM10/5/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I think it's the 11 ;)
Alistair will correct me.

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 5, 2017, 5:15:21 PM10/5/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the DHT11. Not known for it's accuracy.

  Alistair

abaxas

Oct 6, 2017, 9:18:31 AM10/6/17
to North East Makers
Can't they be calibrated?

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 6, 2017, 9:29:43 AM10/6/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I do not know. The temperature is reading the same as another thermometer, and that reads the same as another two I checked elsewhere, so if it is out it will not be that much out. The reason why it reads higher on the wall is because it is warmer up top. I could move it but it is just a bit of fun to produce some data to play with.

  Alistair

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017, 2:54:41 PM10/7/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
A quick update. I have moved the sensor down the wall a little so hopefully it will give a more representative reading. It has slowly fallen off a degree or two and is just a fraction of a degree above what Brian's IR temperature gin is reading.

  Alistair

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 9, 2017, 7:27:03 AM10/9/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I have just moved this to Maker Sapce's own Xively account and added in open/closed indicator to it. The URL is now https://personal.xively.com/feeds/456370301 .

  Alistair

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 9, 2017, 12:46:28 PM10/9/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
...and I just added Tinamous ( https://makerspace.tinamous.com/Devices/workshop ) and Grovestreams ( https://www.grovestreams.com/observationStudio.html?org=c52fa957-2d91-396f-a36f-ba2002bd6ec6 ). Okay, I am going to stop integrating things now. :-)

  Alistair

David Pye

Oct 9, 2017, 1:14:16 PM10/9/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
How have you even heard of all these strange services??

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 9, 2017, 1:26:40 PM10/9/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Pointlessly processing large quantities of real life data without any real purpose is my thing. :-)

  Alistair

Jon Davies

Oct 10, 2017, 8:09:13 AM10/10/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Alistair has a knack for finding strange new things on the internet well in advance of Joe Average, and gives them a punt.  I got my gmail address because of Alistair being an early adopter, and telling me about it.  Him being my boss for a while meant that I got a look in to a good number of new tech, way back about 10 years ago.  Hanging around him often enough means these things rub off onto you :)

Upshot: I am not surprised he name-drops all these weird services!

Cheers,
Jon.

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 10, 2017, 10:12:57 AM10/10/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
:-)

Actually these are all quite old services and there are so many more. This is why I picked them...

Xively - The original player that many other hardware hackers have used over the years. They have pivoted and what we are using is effectively a grandfathered service, but integration was easy and lots of people know how to use it.

Tinamous - I wanted to use a service that offered an MQTT feed and of the options I wanted to support this one. I have chatted with them in the past and although I don't see why I would need to use them commercially I would if I did see a need.

Grovestreams - They are where I think Xively want to be but offer a free service on the full platform. A customer insisted this service was used for a project so I was familiar with it. Chris D also uses it for the brewing and I am assuming that it is for the same reason.

Many other services exist but with new AWS, Google Cloud and Azure offerings the available market share for such sites will be getting small.

  Alistair

Cheers,
Jon.

Paul Hurley

Oct 17, 2017, 1:09:33 PM10/17/17
to North East Makers
I found this while browsing something similar, I'm not suggesting we do it, but this guy went a good way into measuring the accuracy of temp and humidity sensors like this.  Once you've done that it seems a two point calibration curve can be used to correct the values.

http://www.kandrsmith.org/RJS/Misc/Hygrometers/calib_dht22.html

Paul.

Danny Walker

Oct 21, 2017, 6:40:38 AM10/21/17
to North East Makers
I got a Google Home Mini yesterday so naturally I'm playing with Diaglowflow and cloud functions today...

If I were to replicate the Alexa skill for the Google Assistant/Home I guess I should just go for the Tinamous API since Xively doesn't seem to be allowing new accounts? Could you email me an invite code so I can sign up as a user of the makerspace account?

Danny
Cheers,
Jon.

Alistair MacDonald

Oct 22, 2017, 4:48:36 PM10/22/17
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danny,

A Google home version of the Maker Space skill would be cool.

Do you need to create a new account or do you just need an endpoint to call? I am pushing data to these services because 1) I can :-) and 2) some prefer to use them. If you wan to play with Tinamous then cool, but perhaps calling an endpoint directly on the backend server (like the Alexa skill does) is a better way to go.

  Alistair

Danny Walker

Oct 23, 2017, 6:08:04 AM10/23/17
to North East Makers
Yeah I only really need an endpoint I guess!

Because of the unique way Google have arranged their EU taxes, I'm either limited to only API calls to Google services, or I have to have my own server to pass the data between Google and wherever (which ironically is probably going to be on Amazon EC2...).

Could you give me details of where I should be pulling info from?

Danny