need help flashing bootloader/firmware sanguinololu board

Alejandro Erickson

Jan 31, 2016, 6:34:11 AM1/31/16
to North East Makers
Hi,
I need help with 3D printer firmware and I'm wondering if there are a couple of resources at the MS that would help me.

I can't seem to flash my sanguinololu firmware, and I suspect the bootloader (the board came with my solidoodle 2 in 2012).

I have 2 options:
1. Buy a new Sanguinololu with bootloader and flash at home.
2. Buy an ISP programmer and some other stuff* and burn a new bootloader to my existing atmega644p...

Can anyone help me with #2?  The "other stuff" is what confuses me the most, which involves setting up a breadboard circuit.  I'm guessing the space has some drawers with resistors and resonators?  Can I not just burn the bootloader when the chip is mounted on the sanguinololu?

Partial suggestsions/answers welcome.

Alejandro

David Pye

Jan 31, 2016, 6:55:46 AM1/31/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

If sanguinololu has a set of ISP headers I have an ICSP (tinyISP) that should just plug in and do it.

Regards

David

Jon Davies

Feb 1, 2016, 10:35:05 AM2/1/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I have a home-made ISP board made from an Arduino based Atmel Atmega328 with an ISP programmer sketch on, to burn suitable uC's with (at the moment, specifically) the Arduino bootloader.

Greg Fenton

Feb 1, 2016, 10:54:48 AM2/1/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I reflashed my Sanguinololu when I first got it as it was shipped with an earlier revision of the firmware.

Apart from jumping through hoops when it came to setting up the Arduino IDE (and then sorting out all the parameters for the printer itself) it was quite straightforward.

My chip was the 1284p rather than the 644p which meant I needed to replace the AVRDude program with a later version that could handle the extra capacity.

I programmed the device using a USB connection, just like a normal Arduino.

Greg

Greg Fenton

Feb 1, 2016, 11:05:31 AM2/1/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
One thing to try is to hold the reset button on the Sanguinololu down, click upload and wait for the message "Binary sketch size: xxx bytes" and immediately release the reset button. It may take a couple of attempts to get the timing right but it does work.

I had an Arduino that required me to do that when I added a network board to it. About a year later it turned out they had shorted a pin on the schematic and I fixed it by cutting through the PCB trace.

In the case of the Sanguinololu the issue is that Auto Reset is not wired on the board. It was fixed in revision 1.3a of the board. Doesn't help you unless you fancy soldering headers on your board.

Greg

Alejandro Erickson

Feb 1, 2016, 11:28:18 AM2/1/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Thanks!  Looks like David will be helping me on Thursday.

Alejandro
-- Sent from a mobile device. Please allow for terseness and typographical inaccuracies.

/*********************************
* Dr. Alejandro Erickson
* Postdoctoral Research Associate
* Computer Science
* Durham University, England
* phone: (+44) (0)7456794009
* email: alejandro...@gmail.com
* Personal and Academic Homepage:
* http://alejandroerickson.com

Jon Davies

Feb 1, 2016, 11:45:41 AM2/1/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
AHA!

Greg has just jogged my memory of one thing you may not have considered.  There is a jumper right in the middle of the board between the Microcontroller and Stepper Drivers.  When the pair of pins are left open, you can plug/unplug a USB cable and not interrupt the controller when printing.  This causes a problem for when you want to flash the firmware, and stops the auto-reset from happening, which is where Greg and his manual Reset suggestion would fit in.  What you can do, is short the pair of pins with a jumper to enable Auto Reset.  This will mean you can reprogram the firmware and the Microcontroller will auto-reset.  Obvioulsy, now you will cause the Microcontroller to reset each time you plug/unplug the USB cable.  Just remember to remove the jumper after you are done reprogramming the chip.

Alejandro Erickson

Feb 1, 2016, 12:52:51 PM2/1/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

The pins are "jumped" with a removable  cap and I've tried all the upload+reset combinations I could read about.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Alejandro
-- Sent from a mobile device. Please allow for terseness and typographical inaccuracies.

/*********************************
* Dr. Alejandro Erickson
* Postdoctoral Research Associate
* Computer Science
* Durham University, England
* phone: (+44) (0)7456794009
* email: alejandro...@gmail.com
* Personal and Academic Homepage:
* http://alejandroerickson.com
*********************************/

Jon Davies

Feb 1, 2016, 1:28:58 PM2/1/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

No worries! :) Always worth a shot and is a process of elimination.

Alejandro Erickson

Feb 1, 2016, 1:33:04 PM2/1/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Yeah.  Story with this one is that it's stock from solidoodle2, and some of their early sanguinololu shipped with no bootloader, and thus no ability to flash firmware.  For the trouble i got a $550 printer preassembled in 2012 (not as impressive now...)

Alejandro

Sent from a mobile device. Please allow for terseness and typographical inaccuracies.

David Pye

Feb 1, 2016, 1:36:08 PM2/1/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

Alejandro and I are planning to use a tinyISP to reflash the bootloader on Thursday and see if that cracks it :-)