Anyone want a fridge freezer?

N.S. R

Dec 5, 2016, 8:02:54 AM12/5/16
to North East Makers
I've just had a new fridge freezer delivered over the weekend and my old one is now freely available to a new home if anyone wants it - for parts or otherwise. The high temperature warning light comes on every now and then but the freezer seems to be working fine still. Fridge compartment works great.

If nobody stakes a claim with a view of collecting it by the end of next week (17th Dec latest) then it will be made available to the back lane fairies!

Nick

Jon Davies

Dec 5, 2016, 10:43:04 AM12/5/16
to North East Makers

Usually, the company off which you purchased the new unit has a policy of removing the old one.  Imo, back lane disposal equates to potential vandalism, littering and the release of bad gasses.  They're a sort of environmental hazard...unless you can get the council in?  Not checked on that.

Cheers,
Jon.

David Pye

Alistair MacDonald

Dec 5, 2016, 10:48:52 AM12/5/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
As it is working Freegle and Freecycle should help quickly.

Alistair

N.S. R

Dec 5, 2016, 2:51:27 PM12/5/16
to North East Makers
Ok, this thread is with respect to the donation and not the ethical disposal of my now retired fridge freezer, but please allow me to preemt and alleviate any (further) concerns....

I am not going to simply throw it out onto the street where a small child or animal could find their way inside and be suffocated, or subject it to a littering/vandalising concern where it subsequently release (H)CFCs, or all of the above....please give me some credit! I think my deadline also suggests that I am not in desperate a rush to simply get shot of it.

Had it been knackered in the first instance, then yes, I probably would have had it taken away but upon delivery of a new fridge freezer it is usually a requirement that it has to stand for at least 6 - 12 hours prior to switching it on. This would mean that I would have had to empty this fridge freezer prior to the delivery of the new at mucho inconvenience.

My reference to the back lane fairies reflects that there are a number of tall-rise flats (with lifts) that overlook my backyard and it's not uncommon for things to go missing.... :/

With respect to the impending MS move, it should be possible to find space in the area behind the wall, no? Although, this post was originally directed for members that may have wanted or needed some sort of budget refridgeration. Either way - I would very much prefer that it went somewhere that it would continue to serve a purpose.

The Freegle / Freecycle is a very good idea. I would certainly prefer that it went to a good home in a more honest way rather than someone come into my backyard and take it...I'll explore this avenue closer to my deadline, thanks Alistair :)

David Pye

Dec 5, 2016, 5:16:42 PM12/5/16
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I think my move related hesitation was mostly that we have some large objects to move already and this will be another, that's all...