Distilled Water

StevenQ-NE-UK

Aug 3, 2015, 7:26:50 AM8/3/15
to North East Makers
Greetings Makers,

while doing my laundry this last weekend it dawned on me that my condenser dryer produces about 1 - 2L of distilled water per drying cycle.  At the moment this just ends up going down the drain.
If anyone has a use for distilled water then I'd be more than happy to start collecting it in 2L bottles.

just let me know

Steve

Glen Beestone

Aug 3, 2015, 8:24:01 AM8/3/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Laser coolant water is probably due for a refresh.
what do we think chaps ? would this fit the bill?

Glen

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 at 12:26 PM
From: StevenQ-NE-UK <steven...@gmail.com>
To: "North East Makers" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Makers] Distilled Water

Jon Davies

Aug 3, 2015, 8:24:27 AM8/3/15
to North East Makers
I didn't realise this is the sort of water coming out of a condenser dryer.  I too have one, so can also contribute!  I believe it is good stuff for our Laser coolant, so yes, please do collect the water.  We have a fairly big tub sat beside the Laser Cutter that can be topped up with your contributions.

Jon Davies

Aug 3, 2015, 8:24:47 AM8/3/15
to North East Makers
Haha @glen that was top of my mind!

Brian Degger

Aug 3, 2015, 8:42:29 AM8/3/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
can you see any lint in it or is it totally clear?

Brian Degger
twitter: @drbrian

Ed Bisdee

Aug 3, 2015, 8:46:51 AM8/3/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
i wash very confused for a second. "why the hell is water coming out of a clothes dryer?" then i realised and felt stupid

StevenQ-NE-UK

Aug 3, 2015, 8:48:08 AM8/3/15
to North East Makers
there is no sign of any contamination in the water or the collection bottle.  There is, however, the slight smell of the washing detergent

Ed Bisdee

Aug 3, 2015, 8:52:36 AM8/3/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
so your clothes drier acts as a dehumidifier to dry clothes? is that more efficient than a hot air dryer? i've never heard of these before, how interesting!

David Pye

Aug 3, 2015, 9:09:45 AM8/3/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I had one I in the past.

It is a standard hot air drier with the hot air being run through a condenser to grab all the water.

Combination washer dryers are usually the same but they dump the distillate into the waste water stream....

StevenQ-NE-UK

Aug 3, 2015, 9:11:50 AM8/3/15
to North East Makers
Hi Ed,

it's like a hot air dryer +

Instead of the all the hot air blasting out the exhaust tube, it passes through a very fine mesh filer then through a metal coalescer where the water collects.  I've used it to top up the old car / caravan battery in the past and it was fine.  I guess a quick pass through a coffee type filter wouldn't hurt.  If only I drank coffee

Glen Beestone

Aug 3, 2015, 9:15:01 AM8/3/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
It's stil a hot air dryer but if the unit is not an externally vented machine then they can also contain something to condense the steam from the drying  process back into water

in theory this water will be distilled water

however...

i've been reading up about this and while the water will be free of dissolved impurities (calcium carbonate, calcium sulphate etc.). if can also have a lot of particulate impurities and  dissolved gasses ( volatiles from the detergent,  which is what you can smell  in it ) that are blown through the system by the hot air blowers

So probably fine for steam iron, maybe fok  topping up battteries, definely good for watering plants with.
but should be it be using it as coolant?
my thinking is maybe, but only if we want to increase our cleaning and water changeout routine

Glen

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 at 1:52 PM
From: "'Ed Bisdee' via North East Makers" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>
To: "north-ea...@googlegroups.com" <north-ea...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Makers] Re: Distilled Water

StevenQ-NE-UK

Aug 10, 2015, 8:58:41 AM8/10/15
to North East Makers
Greetings Makers,

I collected 2L of water over the weekend.  Before filing a bottle I passed the water through a makeshift filter just in case.  I'll keep the feed alive with updates stating how many full 2L bottles I have.  Once I have 10 or so full I guess we can decide "if" this has a use in the Space.

Steve

Jon Davies

Aug 10, 2015, 12:24:25 PM8/10/15
to North East Makers