New TI Microcontroller

Alistair MacDonald

Mar 24, 2015, 12:08:00 PM3/24/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
This might be interesting to a few of us. A new 32 bit
micro-controller for TI...
http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/microcontrollers_16-bit_32-bit/msp/low_power_performance/msp432p4x/overview.page

Alistair

Brian Degger

Mar 24, 2015, 12:20:31 PM3/24/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
This sounds interesting,

ADC
  • 24-ch 14-bit (13.2 ENOB) differential ADC
  • Up to 1 MSPS
  • 375 uA at full speed

  Alistair

Brian Degger
twitter: @drbrian

jmarc...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2015, 12:45:24 PM3/24/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
I'll be ordering a couple of these Lauchpads later today, if anyone wants to join in and share shipping - which costs the same $14 for 1 or 10 boards - let me know.

It might be a while until they reach the UK distributors (Farnell, RS..) and may be more expensive too, Digikey is selling them at twice the price of TI.

jmarc...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2015, 7:05:24 AM3/25/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Now this an interesting development, there's a new Energia (the Arduino-like platform for the TI Lauchpad) release that supports running multiple sketches in parallel using TI's Real Time OS on the MSP432 platform.

Chris

Mar 25, 2015, 7:39:22 AM3/25/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, it may not be that great. I've not looked fully into this but..

"Interprocess communication can easily be done by using global variables. "

makes me think they are not paying any attention to thread safety.

Chris

Mar 25, 2015, 8:00:34 AM3/25/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

My views on Arduino not being an appropriate platform have been said before. I don't believe it has much of a place. It is just complicated to get right and easy to get wrong so it is not simple and accessible, and that is the whole point of Arduno. That said I am still glad it is an option.

  Alistair

Jon Davies

Mar 25, 2015, 9:41:32 AM3/25/15
to north-ea...@googlegroups.com

All this talk of (what seems to be) multi threaded applications, goes against my reckoning of what an MCU is trying to achieve.  I currently echo Alistair's viewpoint on this new TI device.